How To Winterize - what's best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Winterize - what's best?

I'm getting ready to move the 850 to the shed for the winter. I'll be removing the tank and body parts for repainting over the winter. What do I do about the carbs? Will I be ok if I add Stabil, run it through to the carbs, and then remove the tank? Or, remove the tank, fire it up and run it till I burn through the fuel in the lines and then drain the bowls?

Either method will work just fine. Never heard of anyone ever complain about Stabil once it was run through the carbs. Draining the bowls works just as well just a little more work with the lasting smell of gas on your fingers for the evening.

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
    I'm getting ready to move the 850 to the shed for the winter. I'll be removing the tank and body parts for repainting over the winter. What do I do about the carbs? Will I be ok if I add Stabil, run it through to the carbs, and then remove the tank? Or, remove the tank, fire it up and run it till I burn through the fuel in the lines and then drain the bowls?
    Last edited by srsupertrap; 12-05-2009, 08:11 PM.
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

I also spray the bike LIBERALLY with WD-40 to help prevent rust over the winter. It works but sure does stink and smoke the first time you start it in the Spring. Even after a good washing.

Comment

Fogging the cylinders may be a little overkill for the few months it will be in storage,but I do that also.I also get the wheels off the floor to prevent flat spots on the tires. Oh yea,don't forget about that battery.And like the other guys said Stabil works great.

Comment

All good advise so far. Another vote for Stabil, I have used it for years, but I usually double the dose for some reason. If you already have Seafoam on your shelf, you can use that instead of Stabil, does the same thing.

Since you are removing the tank, you won't be tempted to fire it up (at least not until the tank is back on), but don't. Your best bet is to put it on a battery tender and just leave it. Don't fire it up unless you plan on taking it out for at least a half-hour ride to FULLY warm it up. Otherwise, you risk building up condensation and contaminants in the oil and exhaust system.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm confused. According to this post:

07-12-2009, 09:13 AM
            Buster-boy

Ok, You Win
            To those of you that truly offer assitance, thank you. For those of you that offered but then turned against me, thank you too. For those of you that are just plain jerks.....

Even though I never asked, I got the info I needed. I'll change my ID and profile info, and keep browsing around for a while. That way, I'll know you but you won't know me and life will be sunshine and lollipops for all. Just like in Rambo, the innocent guy just passing through succumbs to his persecutors.

I'd like to leave all of you with just one last tip - contrary to popular belief, there IS life beyond GSR.

Jim

You should have been done with us jerks a long time ago, and not even be posting here as "Buster Boy", if you were to actually keep a promise. That's one of the problems with society nowadays. People make promises, but just don't keep 'em.....

Of course, your tirade and false goodbye came after you posted this little gem to Earl:

07-11-2009, 11:07 PM
            Buster-boy

Earl
            Earl, would you please do me a favor? Could you reach around behind your back, reach between your thighs, grab that little cow teet you call a *****, pull really really hard and then STICK IT IN YOUR ASS!!

And I'm also puzzled why you have posted so many questions here over the past few months when you evidently knew what to do back in July, as indicated in this classic post to Rose:

07-11-2009, 11:05 PM
            Buster-boy

Msg to Kinnet

........You know what? You and Griffin can both blow me. I have the info I need.

I won't post the pms you sent to me, this is a family-friendly forum and your public posts are bad enough.

So you're mothballing your bike for the winter, even though as of mid-November, it still was running crappy and you never did quite get everything sorted out? Gee, that sucks. Oh well, you've got all of next year to wrench on it and throw more money at it.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Man what just happend?I think i'm going in the garage for now.

Comment

Working...
              X