Hard Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Starting

The last few times (November 25th and December 5)I have run my '82 GS 750E it has been really hard to start for the first time. I am wondering with the winter months coming on if there is something in the air.
    I keep my bike in a heated garage (aprox. 55 degrees) and then take it outside to start it up, just like I have all summer. Now I can crank and crank with nothing happening. It seems to help when I tried the prime with the petcock. During the summer I never used the prime feature. Most of the time it has started instantly if I have the choke set.

You should always the prime function when the bike sits for any length of time and use full choke without touching the throttle.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

When is the last time the valves were adjusted ?
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I think the valves need to be adjusted. I now have 10,600 miles on the bike. It had 6,300 in June when I bought it from the original owner. I was going to tackle that in the near future. I am happy that the valves do no require shims to make the adjustment. I used to adjust my VW valves every 6000 miles.

Comment

Working...
        X