More electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More electrical problems

My '81 850L has been giving me some strange electrical problems. Sometimes, I turn the key and all the lights turn on normal. Sometimes, I turn key and nothing happens. WHen this happens, I would bridge the starter relay, which sometimes caused the lights to come on and stay on. This was the way i have started my bike too, when on the fritz. Sometimes, bridging starter relay causes only the neutral indicator to come on, but only while relay bridged. Cannot get bike to start then. Battery good for sure. Any ideas what is going on? Really don't want to take to a mechanic, but have been having problems for long time now, can't explain. Greatly appreciate any help.

-MBANKS

It sounds like a bad contact with a fuse.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you haven't already done it, start in the headlight bucket and working to the taillight CLEAN all your electrical connections. Use some dielectric grease once you get them clean. Sounds like you have a bad ground or loose,dirty connection.

Comment

Don't think its dirty connectors, as i have had it running before. Had to put a new r/r in, but i reconnected everything good. I'll check those grounds.

Comment

Do you have a wiring diagram and a multimeter? Start checking your circuits for continuity. If you think the problem is in the starter circuit, then start there.

Comment

Originally posted by MBanks View Post
            My '81 850L has been giving me some strange electrical problems. Sometimes, I turn the key and all the lights turn on normal. Sometimes, I turn key and nothing happens. WHen this happens, I would bridge the starter relay, which sometimes caused the lights to come on and stay on. This was the way i have started my bike too, when on the fritz. Sometimes, bridging starter relay causes only the neutral indicator to come on, but only while relay bridged. Cannot get bike to start then. Battery good for sure. Any ideas what is going on? Really don't want to take to a mechanic, but have been having problems for long time now, can't explain. Greatly appreciate any help.

-MBANKS
            When you say "bridging the solenoid", I gather you mean the starter motor cables, not the starter button wires. Correct.

But either way I dont see how that would effect the other problem...other than just maybe the mechanical shaking of things and some loose connection making back up.

You say "sometimes", does that mean sometimes everthing is okay? Or is it always not good, and sometimes its like you described and bad in a differnt ways other times?

When this problem occures ... tell us all what works and what doesnt work. Headlight, instrument lights, netural/gear light, tail light, horn, brake light, starter button (ignition would be another thing but cant really tell). Maybe then we can detect if it is things that are all on one fuse (in which case problem maybe in the power wiring at/from that fuse) or if it is things on different fuses (in which case maybe power to the fuses, or ground problem).

At the moment my suspecison is eiter a bad connections at battery, or bad ground connection somewhere, or bad connection of + to the fuse box. BUt tell us more, see if we can narrow it down.

And tell us if you have a meter and if you have a schematic.

Your name seems somewhat familiar, have I already sent you a schematic for GS850G/GL? I have one avaialble I could send (PM me your email, will check back this afternoon). And there maybe one avaialble on the BassCliff BikeCliff site.

Last edited by Redman; 12-06-2009, 09:52 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

My '81 850L has been giving me some strange electrical problems. Sometimes, I turn the key and all the lights turn on normal. Sometimes, I turn key and nothing happens. -MBANKS
              This sounds like a bad ignition switch; are you sure you are not turning it to park?

WHen this happens, I would bridge the starter relay, which sometimes caused the lights to come on and stay on. This was the way i have started my bike too, when on the fritz. Sometimes, bridging starter relay causes only the neutral indicator to come on, but only while relay bridged. Cannot get bike to start then.
              -MBANKS
              Not sure what you mean by bridging?? But by the symptoms sounds like bad ignition switch still

Comment

Working...
              X