As I pass into another area of no knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I pass into another area of no knowledge

Once again I know all you guys are going to be an invaluable resource. I just got home with my 1982 GS1100E, $400 with a title, engine that turns, and not a single part missing. Plenty of grungy aluminum, rust here and there, but for $400 with a title, I practically stole it. My G was kind of testing the waters, assembling some tools, finding out where to get things, and where to get things done. This is gonna be a full on frame up build, touch of modern components, without losing the old school muscle look. As you can tell, SUPER excited. My bank account won't be happy, in a year or so my ass in the seat will be. I'm going to build the engine as much as is sane on a bike not intended for the track. Should be fun.

I know I don't want a second black bike, so full paint job, maybe maroon or red in the cards for sure.

HAHA!
    I had heard you guys many times talk about the "train light", THAT'S what you meant, it's freaking HUGE!

Comment

Have fun; These are great bike with tonnes of parts avaliable to spend money on. Most of the time parts are avaliable used and you only have to spend 1/2 what the other guy did so you can buy even more parts

Comment

Congrats!

Awesome bike

Comment

Nice grab! That pipe is awfully cooked lookin tho. Might suggest pullin the top end and lookin at things closer. Still if you have to invest in a new top end gasket kit it's worth every penny. Good find! Start shopping for gixxer conversion parts!

Comment

looks like a GREAT find - nice looking bike, that model is indeed my favorite.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Looks like P.O. has already upgraded the coils/wires, so it's possible you might find more goodies in there. Did he include pods, or the stock airbox with the bike.....wondered if he had pods on it and sold them off separately?
              Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                Looks like P.O. has already upgraded the coils/wires, so it's possible you might find more goodies in there. Did he include pods, or the stock airbox with the bike.....wondered if he had pods on it and sold them off separately?
                Tony.
                He handed me a box with 4 real K&N pods, so saved a few bucks there.

First off, since I finally got my 34 MM CVs dialed in on the G, I'll save the 36 mm slingshots I have on the way for this bike.

No doubt kid, It's getting torn all the way down to the crank most likely, so we'll see what we find.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                  Once again I know all you guys are going to be an invaluable resource. I just got home with my 1982 GS1100E, $400 with a title, engine that turns, and not a single part missing. Plenty of grungy aluminum, rust here and there, but for $400 with a title, I practically stole it. My G was kind of testing the waters, assembling some tools, finding out where to get things, and where to get things done. This is gonna be a full on frame up build, touch of modern components, without losing the old school muscle look. As you can tell, SUPER excited. My bank account won't be happy, in a year or so my ass in the seat will be. I'm going to build the engine as much as is sane on a bike not intended for the track. Should be fun.

I know I don't want a second black bike, so full paint job, maybe maroon or red in the cards for sure.

Looks like the airbox is gone ...great find!

Comment

Besides the airbox, left front brake caliper missing, onlt things I've noticed so far. Probably gonna go twin pot on the front brakes anyway.

Comment

Nice steal
                      Let me know what parts you need.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ok, question 1, is this aluminium swing arm stock, or a mod by a PO?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                          Ok, question 1, is this aluminium swing arm stock, or a mod by a PO?
                          '82 came stock with aluminum swingarm............

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                            '82 came stock with aluminum swingarm............

Thanks,
                            Joe
                            Nice, bonus.

Comment

Well, interesting.... in some looking at other people's mods to these bikes it's very possible the swing arm, and the wheels (none of which I have sold yet) off my RF900 might be usable on this E. Wheels almost certainly (with a bandit swing arm). Got to get the frame and motor for the RF out of the garage this week so I have some room to start working on this thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X