Is this bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this bad?

So I just bought this bike and am now in the process of rebuilding the engine and I noticed that the outside of the clutch is gouged pretty badly. Here is a picture of the damage.

As you can see the gouge is pretty bad in the lower left part of the clutch. So I'm wondering what could cause this and do I need to replace the hub? Thanks.
    -Theo
    Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2009, 06:47 PM.

Looks like one of the bolts has come loose some time in the past.
    Look for matching gouges in the inside of the case.
    Check the torque on all six bolts, maybe even put some Loc-tite on them, put it back together.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wait. so are you saying that it's alright to leave it the way it is or should I replace it? And yes there are matching gouges in the outside cover. Thanks.

Comment

I think it'll be okay. As Steve said, looks like a bolt came loose and rattled around in there, sometime in the past.

Just check that they're torqued right and forget about it. The bike was shifting and riding well before the teardown....right ?
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          The bike was shifting and riding well before the teardown....right ?
          I have no idea if it was shifting fine or not. I bought the bike in a non-running condition. The PO said everything was fine except that the engine was leaking oil from the base gasket. He was in the process of replacing all of the gaskets before he called it quits. So I guess I'll tighten it up, finish the rebuild and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

Those are not the stock bolts so someone changed them at some point...most likely after one came loose.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Those are not the stock bolts so someone changed them at some point...most likely after one came loose.
              My thought exactly.
              As mentioned...Loc-tite and retorque, done.

Comment

Get the stock bolts, spacers and springs.
                I'd use that pressure plate as long as it's not cracked.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for all of the help guys. Other than the gouge the pressure plate is fine so I'll reuse it like suggested. So where do I get stock bolts from? Why do the springs need to be replaced? Thanks.
                  -Theo

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
                    Thanks for all of the help guys. Other than the gouge the pressure plate is fine so I'll reuse it like suggested. So where do I get stock bolts from? Why do the springs need to be replaced? Thanks.
                    -Theo
                    The springs (like any spring) starts to sag under load after many years under compression. You can replace, or some people shim them with washers. It stops the clutch from rattling and slipping.

Comment

Try mrcycles.com for replacement bolts. Use a caliper to measure the springs to see if they need replaced. Replace the springs if they measure less than 38.5mm.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for all of the great info.

Comment

Working...
                        X