GS 850 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 rebuild

Hi Guys I'm looking at building a GS 850 from scratch, have the frame, engine wheels, swinging arm etc. I am now thinking of building it as an L model and wondered if the frame is the same on an L model, ie would the seat etc fit straight on. Cheers
    Wayne

I'm pretty sure the frames are different between the G and the GL, but somebody may correct me. Why would you want to build the L(adies) model anyway.

Comment

I could compare two of the three I have at home, but I'm not sure it would be a valid comparison. There were changes made for the '82 model year and what I have to compare is an '82 L and two '81 Gs, so I won't be able to tell if any differences are due to the G vs L or '81 vs '82.

What I can tell you is that the two frames have different part numbers. Looking at the two fiche side by side, it appears that most of the differences are in mounting tabs for the stuff that hangs from it, basic frame and bracing appears to be the same.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I could compare two of the three I have at home, but I'm not sure it would be a valid comparison. There were changes made for the '82 model year and what I have to compare is an '82 L and two '81 Gs, so I won't be able to tell if any differences are due to the G vs L or '81 vs '82.

What I can tell you is that the two frames have different part numbers. Looking at the two fiche side by side, it appears that most of the differences are in mounting tabs for the stuff that hangs from it, basic frame and bracing appears to be the same.

I always thought the headstock was a slightly different angle, but as usual, when I think bad things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
          I always thought the headstock was a slightly different angle, ...
          That might be one of the differences, but I don't know why. They were after a certain "look" with the L models, and mostly acheived it with the leading-axle forks, teardrop tank, stepped seat and shorter mufflers.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            They were after a certain "look" with the L models, and mostly acheived it with the leading-axle forks, teardrop tank, stepped seat and shorter mufflers.

...pullback bars, and smaller rear wheel (16") too
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

The G and GL frames are most definitely different in several important ways.

Most driveline parts will interchange, of course, but forks, tank, sidecovers, seat, fenders, and airbox do not. The brake calipers will interchange, but the caliper brackets do not.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

L & G are vastly different. G is a touring bike, L is more of a cruiser. L seat is lower than a G and is a king and queen seat whereas the G is mostly flat - only a slight rise between riders. Frame and body parts are not interchangeable, a few engine parts are. G tank is a bigger, different shape and mounts differently. Side covers and fenders are different - L is chrome, G is painted. Don't know what you have, but 80-81 are really only interchangeable mostly within those years/models depending on the part. Same with late 70's and 82's-83's. Babbitts.com has a good fiche with interchange.

Lots of parts on eBay. Also try the salvage yard search engines like Uneedapart.com, tricountymotorcycles.com, Mrcycleparts.com. I have an 81 GS850G (see pic below) and that's where I get my parts. PM me with any questions. Glad to help.

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2009, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Depending on what you want to do, that's not entirely correct. There are some minor model year differences in the engines themselves, but any 1980+ GS850 G or GL engine will interchange with any other. The driveshaft flange is very slightly different on 1982-83 models, but as long as you get the driveshaft along with the engine, it will work.

The swingarms and final drives are the same between G and GL models, too.
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i have a 1980 GL parts bike if you need anything let me know.
                    1979 GS850G
                    2004 SV650N track bike
                    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys looks like I'll just go with my original plan to build a standard G bike. I'm in the UK so sourcing GL parts is a bit more difficult. I've already encountered the problem Brian mentioned re the flange on a bobber I'm building, had to swap the flanges around from the two engines. I'll post pics of bobber once finished and the new build as and when I start it. Thanks again
                      Wayne
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2009, 08:59 AM.

Comment

If you run into specific interchange questions (will this fit that?), post them in the forum -- I left out a lot of details above, but these bikes are pretty well understood.
                        Eat more venison.

Comment

I have some 850 shafty parts if you are interested?

Comment

I have a 79 850G parts bike all torn down. Good tank, seatpan and foam, front end, rear end, switches ect. let me know what you might need.

Jim
                            GS Score Card
                            4-400 Series GS's
                            3-500 Series
                            1-600 Series
                            1-700 Series
                            4-800 Series
                            1-1000 Series
                            2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                              ...pullback bars, and smaller rear wheel (16") too
                              My front wheel is 19" rear is 18" on my 79 L

Comment

Working...
                              X