Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 cylinder barrel finish

Hi

Does anyone know what the original finish was on the cylinder of a 1979 GS1000S (UK spec). Mine was a bit corroded so I had it vapour blasted and it looks great but I can't remember if it should be painted silver. I know that the top crankcase half (but not the bottom) and the cam cover were originally painted but I'm not sure about the cylinder. To be honest I am a bit worried how easy it will be to paint it properly in between the fins and stuff.

Yes, the cylinder should be painted the same colour as the crankcase top half / head / rocker cover.

Cleanliness (and especially degreasing) are everything before painting - apart from that spraying in between the fins is a doddle.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks, any tips on what paint works best. Sperex VHT silver?

Comment

PJ1 was the best but I haven't seen silver from them for a while. Sperex (Simoniz - I think they've dropped the Sperex from the brand name recently) isn't as good in my opinion. I used their aluminium VHT engine enamel on my S and it bubbled in a few places - I was ultra clean and I reckon it just didn't want to stick to the alumium where it had even a very slight shine. It's not such a good colour match either - the silver is not as white as the original, although it looks fine and only somebody who knew would be able to tell.

The Simoniz VHT silver is closer to the original colour (though still not correct) but it has a more matt finish (and therefor in my opinion looks worse).

If you go for Simoniz don't get ripped off - £5 a can is about right, maybe a tad more, but there are loads of places knocking it out for £15.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
        X