Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 GS 1000 Clutch activated switch - How does it work???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS 1000 Clutch activated switch - How does it work???

Hi Y'all

I recently picked up a GS1000 as my winter project and step one has been to see what works and what doesn't. The "starter disconnect switch" has me a bit confused.

1. How does it work? clutch in? clutch out?
    2. Some parts are missing-spring and some sort of metal contact??? dunno?
    3. Is this switch necessary?

TBC (to be continued)
    Thanks
    Dom

It works just like the brake light switch.. (same parts I think)
    Pulling the clutch in completes the circuit for the start switch..

It can be bypassed by unplugging it inside the headlight and plugging the 2 leads from the harness it was connected to together. Yellow/Green stripe wires I believe.

The wiring on mine was cut off at the clutch perch twisted together and taped to the control harness So I just bypassed and removed it.

Comment

The switch is "normally open", meaning it will not conduct until activated (clutch lever pulled). In its intended use, you had to pull the clutch lever to complete the circuit through the starter button. This was intended as a safety device to prevent the bike from lurching forward if you happened to start it in gear.

No, it's not "needed" and many of us have disconnected it. Follow the wires into the headlight bucket, you will see a pair of bullet connections. Disconnect the switch leads, then re-connect the connectors that go to the main harness to each other. The system will now think the clutch lever is always pulled and will engage the starter any time the key is ON and the START button is pressed.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
        It works just like the brake light switch.. (same parts I think)
        Yes, mostly same parts, but I just tried to move a clutch switch to make it into a brake switch and found that the brake switch wires have two male bullets, while the clutch switch has one male, one female. You can either make a jumper wire or clip and re-connect with the proper-gender connector.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the help ... it's history.

Comment

Working...
          X