Blowing Fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blowing Fuses

I keep blowing the main 15 amp fuse on the 83 750es. It will continue to blow when i replace it and restart the bike. however if I take out the two fuses for the lights, and dash, the main fuse is ok. I am assuming that there is a short somewhere in the dash as it has been acting a little strange for the last few weeks. the gauges peg for a while when i turn on the highbeam. like the temp gauge will read full in the red for 10 seconds, then go back to normal. does this constantly. also both the turn signal lights light up. So i guess i need to bust out the multimeter and find the short.. any ideeas on where to look first? Thanks all. Most thanks to Moto Dan as you will probabl6y be the first one to reply to this

First check your fuses. Sometimes metal flakes can cause circuits to short together. Get out the meter and check each circuit. I had a piece of metal shorting between the main fuse and the ignition fuse. It did not blow it just keep my bike from charging only got 12.11 volts out of the system. I would remove and inspect the fuse box then check each of the suspect circuits. Good luck!

Comment

My 83GS750ES had a similar problem, and it turned out to be 2 things :

the first was a short in the ignition from a broken off post (blew main fuse whenever I turned the bike to on), and the second was a loose wire inside the gauge housing itself. (Bike would run, but no gauges)

Good luck! I hate electrical!

Jay

Comment

Other possibility

You may have a faulty stator or regulator/rectifier.
        I recently had those same symptoms and had to replace both. Everything works fine now. No more blown fuses!

Hope you get it figured out,
        Joel

PS If your set up is similar, you should be able to use a volt meter to read the voltage coming from the stator by hooking one lead to one of the three wires coming off the stator, and the other lead to another wire. Repeat this process until you have measured acrossed all combinations of the three. I believe my book (1983 GS1100 GK) says to perform this test with the engine at 5,000 RPM's. And you should have approx. 75 volts at each test. If not, you have a bad "Leg" in your stator. If you are mechanically inclined enough to pull the stator cover off with some confidence, do that and see if your stator is looking a deeper shade of black. Do this only if you get faulty readings from the voltage test. If the stator is black, it is most likely as burnt as the toast most of us won't eat.

The other possibility is the regulator/rectifier.

Comment

Working...
        X