Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to place caliper on VM26SS Float ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to place caliper on VM26SS Float ?

Anybody got a picture of a VM Carb Float being set with a caliper ? I want to make sure I'm putting the caliper in the correct position on the carb body to measure the float height.

Thanks !!!!

Without the gasket, measure from the gasket surface

Comment

Ironic that you should post this question. I'm looking forward to hearing any other responses, especially in response to what I write. I've always measured from the gasket surface too, without the gasket in place. However, I looked at the factory service manual yesterday to get the spec for the floats on an '80 1000L. While I was at it, I happened to notice the picture included with the instructions. It shows the measurement taken from the ridge around the float bowl and not the gasket surface. The difference between those 2 surfaces is at least 2 mm. Wassup with that?
      Willie
      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

scan in your FSM page, or take a picture of it - we need to straighten this out once and for all.

Comment

Phew! That could be tuff. I don't have a scanner and I really doubt a picture would show the detail I mentioned. Hmmm.
          I'll see what I can do, if anything.
          Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

you know, come to think of it.. the mating surface is not the place most of us measured from.. it's actually the raised bump - because when the bowl is affixed to the body of the carburetor, it can not go any further than that ridge in terms of tightening it down.

It would make 100% sense to measure from the ridge, to the top (bottom) of the float to get our figure of 24mm. This may be why a lot of the search results on THIS very website return figures such as 25/26mm etc.

People were not measuring on the ridge, so they added a mm to make up for measuring the flat surface.

Still would be nice to see a photo of the actual FSM but that's hard to get.. all the online copies are low quality mega dark.

Comment

I think you may've misunderstood what I was referring to when I wrote "ridge". The surface shown in the FSM is not the raised bump but actually the raised edge that keeps the bowl aligned with the carb body. The bowl fits in this "perimeter".
              Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

From the 77 FSM pdf.. which is why the quality sucks but you can see they are calling to measure from "below" the edge.

I suppose where you measure from, be it the raised ridge to seal the gasket, or the flat surface next to that it will still be with in the tolerated spec which is +/- 1

(This particula example was for a 32ss carb, so don't use that specs listed on this image this is just for reference..)

If willies happens to have a different way to measure, than I hope can get a picture up of that too.

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                  While I was at it, I happened to notice the picture included with the instructions. It shows the measurement taken from the ridge around the float bowl and not the gasket surface. The difference between those 2 surfaces is at least 2 mm. Wassup with that?
                  Originally posted by 79FiveFifty View Post
                  you know, come to think of it.. the mating surface is not the place most of us measured from.. it's actually the raised bump - because when the bowl is affixed to the body of the carburetor, it can not go any further than that ridge in terms of tightening it down.

It would make 100% sense to measure from the ridge, to the top (bottom) of the float to get our figure of 24mm. This may be why a lot of the search results on THIS very website return figures such as 25/26mm etc.

People were not measuring on the ridge, so they added a mm to make up for measuring the flat surface.
                  All of this just goes to show you why you really need to put the bowls on, turn the carbs over, put gas in them and measure the fuel level.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    All of this just goes to show you why you really need to put the bowls on, turn the carbs over, put gas in them and measure the fuel level.

True that.. all the FSM's show different terrible photos of how to get confused.. check this one out.

Comment

Comment

I found this...............

Comment

You are the man... measurement is taken over the raised edge and that confirms it.

thanks man, i was gonna pull my hair out soon if I didn't have a shaved head.

Comment

Ok, my next question is what is that tool being used in the picture ??? I have a caliper and it doesn't look like that !??!?!?!?

Comment

vernier caliper, or digital one

see bottom of tool

Comment

Working...
                              X