• Show
Clear All

Pick a tire for me (from list)

The following are my options

Avon: Roadrider AM26

Pirelli: Sport Demond Sport Touring

Michelin: Pilot Activ

Dunlop: GT501 sport

sizes are 100/90-18 front, 120/90-18 rear.

I'm interested in your experiance with themwith regards to grip, handling, feel and wear, in that order please.

Thanks!

There are tons of tire threads in the archives. You can get the answer you want with a simple search.

Suggestion: go to Advanced Search, type "Tire" and then click "titles only".
    Last edited by Nessism; 12-10-2009, 09:53 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Here's a good discussion of Road Riders vs. Sport Demons....

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

It seems to be pretty dark around here Could someone please tell me where the SEARCH button is?

PS: Avon for best wear and handling cant be beat.

Comment

with all due respect to other forum users, finding focused opinions on specific tires is rather difficult with the search function, (same with opinions on oil)

Ultimately it would be nice to have a data base with at the very least, testimonials as to the qualities observed for each tire. also may be what tire options are available for different bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
            is this for the 82 gs550m? cause that rear should be 110/90-18 and the front 100/90-19.

here is a chart. I have confirmed this with several charts on the web.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2009, 06:06 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

From the list I'd do the Dunlop.
              At the moment thanks to Jim (posplayr) I get to try a new Avon. I'll let you know.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I used Sport Demons on my 1982 1100 Kat and they were the nearest thing to the old Phantoms of the 80's with regards to suiting the bikes suspension / brakes etc BUT the levels of wear were high, unusually the front wore out quicker than the rear ! Also I believe the Sport demon is being discontinued.
                Solved the crossply tyre problem in the end by changing the wheels, forks, suspension and brakes and putting on radials. 6000 plus miles to a rear tyre which is at least double what I've managed in the last 25 years of owning the bike.
                That included Pirelli Phantoms,Pirelli Match's, Metzeler ME99's, ME55's,Dunlop Red Arrows, Bridgestone BT35/45's plus numerous others I've forgotten about.

Comment

with all due respect to other forum users, finding focused opinions on specific tires is rather difficult with the search function, (same with opinions on oil)

Ultimately it would be nice to have a data base with at the very least, testimonials as to the qualities observed for each tire. also may be what tire options are available for different bikes.
                  If you go into the archives and read the multitude of tire threads you will quickly see that Avon Roadriders are the forum favorite; they have excellent grip, are fairly cheap, and decent durability. The Phantoms are reputed to have better road feel and possibly grip, although not to many people go around sliding their GS's, but they wear much faster. Regarding the 501 and Michelin's, they are not popular with GSR users mostly I suspect, because they cost a lot more money than the Avons - in the US anyway.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm running a set of Avon AM26 Roadriders & Dunlop 501's on a 650GZ & 850GLZ respectively...

Both great tires IMHO, but the Avons are less expensive, & seemed to offer a better selection of sizes suited to the old GS rims. They also have a combination tire (either front or rear use) for some of the sizes that don't have the stand-alone proper size...

I just installed a set of Shinko Tour Masters on my 1100EX, but have to wait until Spring to form an opinion on those however; they were by far the least expensive tire that were H-rated street sneakers...
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Really ??..........There has to be a bazillion opinions in those jillion tire threads.

You just gotta read.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

i love dunlop, but just got my first avon am20 off ebay new 38.00!!!
                        im hoping the avon are as good as i have always heard about

Comment

The following are my options

Avon: Roadrider AM26

Pirelli: Sport Demond Sport Touring

Michelin: Pilot Activ

Dunlop: GT501 sport

I'm interested in your experiance with themwith regards to grip, handling, feel and wear, in that order please.

Thanks!
                          What are the type and condition of the tires currently installed on your machine?
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

You'll love the Avon AM26 RoadRiders. Buy some already! DennisKirk.com seems to have excellent Avon prices for some reason.

In comparison, the Dunlop 501s turn evil when they get worn. The Avons stay very consistent all the way down to the cords.

The Pirellis cost more and don't last as long, but they're a great choice as well if your butler doesn't mind changing tires for you a little more often.

Never tried the Michelins. I'm sure they're nice, but crikey, they're expensive.

I've tried Metzelers, and was quite disappointed that tires that cost so arse-bleedingly much evaporated so quickly and felt so average and numb. Spooky in the wet, too, I thought.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I just gotta laugh when people loose so much sleep over tire purchases for a 25 year old street driven motorcycle. I've tried Dunlops, Metzeler's, Maxxis, and Bridgestone. Ya know what ? They all perform about the same ! If your chassis and suspension is in correct working mechanical condition, I guarantee WHATEVER tire you purchase will be just fine for your 25 year old street driven motorcycle. Now, if you plan on hitting the closed course race track, or you are an absolute lunitic on the street, now tire selection becomes more critical and differences in tires will be more pronounced....

BTW, the only tire on that list I would not suggest is Dunlop GT501's those tires are extremly soft, pricey, will scallop prematurely, and the longevity is poor (but 501's will stick like glue, if that's what you prefer) .

BTW again, if you asked me for a "top pick" I would have to give a slight nod to the tried and true Dunlop D404's. These sneakers seem to be the best overall good compramise of traction, reliability, and good ol' value.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2009, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X