Switching to pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching to pods

Wondering how people have found the process of switching from an old stock airbox over to pods. I am in the process of rebuilding a 77 gs550 and I think that is the way I want to go. I know there will be some carb adjustments needed. What other issues have people run into? Which pods/size are people using? I need to try and find something that fits between the carbs and the frame which is a pretty tight fight on that bike.

thanks guys

No two bikes are alike. Even if they are the same model. Mechanical differences and tuning conditions will effect results. I'd suggest a good deal of reading and research on jet sizes and needle possitions be dome before attempting the change but above all I'd suggest you get the bike mechanicly sound prior to installing pods. This includes clean clean carbs valves adjusted to spec and the electrical system working completely properly. Any one of these issues will have an effect on how difficult the switch is. It's not simply a put em on and tweak endevor. There will be large change in the jet size on the main and a definite need to move the needles. If you do not do these things the bike will not only run poorly but will likely be permanently damaged in the process.

Comment

As per TCK plus make sure that you get the right pods; too often I've seen them advertised for the 550 and they're too long and won't clear the frame on number 1 and 4.

Don't be put off though. The 550 reponds pretty well to pods and isn't too hard to tune in.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

not to hi jack thread but i searched and cant find the right pods for an 85gs550e. Any ideas???

Comment

not to hi jack thread but i searched and cant find the right pods for an 85gs550e. Any ideas???
          I thought you had it with this bike? Weren't you trying to sell it? If you can't get it to run right with the stock setup, forget about putting pods on it.

Comment

Originally posted by firetruckmechanic View Post
            First off, I don't know the answer. I do think it may be difficult since this bike uses those dual throat CV carbs and I think they have an oval bell mount to the airbox. My advice is stock is usually easiest to get running correctly, but if you have to use pods, measure the mount up and order some quality pods if possible.

Comment

This makes three in a row of essentially the same question that I've answered. I think we need to make a 'sticky' or some sort of permanent link providing details on basic carburettor tuning procedures. I'm not complaining, but this is a very simple procedure and is also very common - exactly the sort of thing a sticky is best at helping solve.

1: Go up on the mainjets by a size or two. Ride gently until warm and then give it some stick. You're looking for best performance at high rpm and full throttle. Adjust the mainjets up or down to suit.

2: Set you needle height to give best performance at mid throttle and rpm settings, often referred to as 'transition' stage (from lower to higher rpm). Smoothness and acceptance of throttle is what you are after, without losing power.

3: Make sure you have cleaned the carbs prior to doing this as otherwise you will waste your time by getting false settings. You will also need to adjust any mixture screws to suit the newly installed parts before you take the bike for a test run.

When you have decided on the final tuning take it out for a ride and sit on high rpm (close to redline) for 10 seconds, then simultaneously hit the kill switch and pull the clutch lever in. This preserves the spark plugs at the condition they were in at that particular rpm, and you will coast to a stop at the side of the road. Remove the plugs and inspect their condition. White means lean, black means rich. You're looking for a brownish colour - googling will help you on this but brown is the general colour you're after. Modify your state of tune and repeat this procedure until you get the right settings.

It should be noted that this last 'plug chop' test is best performed at speeds of over 60mph, as this gives a more accurate indication of the required mixture under load. Ideally you'd do it in top gear at redline, but I cannot encourage this in any way as the resulting speeds are quite excessive and possibly dangerous when riding on public roads.

In response to the fitment of pods, I would suggest going down to an automotive store with your caburettor. Make a note of the space available from carb to frame member and find something to suit. I'm sorry I can't be of more help on that subject, but I have no experience with 550's

Regards - boingk
              Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2009, 09:49 AM. Reason: Mixture under load comment.

Comment

Working...
              X