Trash Bag on Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trash Bag on Exhaust

While riding home today a trash bag blew out in the road ahead of me, which I was unable to avoid running over. The bag blew up onto the front of the engine and promptly melted on my exhaust pipes where they bolt on the front of the engine. I've frankly never heard of anything like this happening before and have no real good idea of how to remove this melted plastic from my pipes. Anyone have an idea or suggestion?

Thanks!

Re: Trash Bag on Exhaust

Sure, not a problem. Take an electric drill and chuck a 4 to 6 inch cloth buffing wheel in it. (you can get a CLOTH buffing wheel from Home Depot, Lowes, etc and mandrel for about 5 or 6 dollars) Use the buffing wheel dry and run the drill at its highest rpm. The wheel will friction melt the plastic off the pipes, pick it up as it melts and throw it off, and it will not scar or scratch your pipes or aluminum cases. You will probably have to remove the pipes though to be able to get around all sides of them and to clean the engine.

Earl

Originally posted by Lucky_Sprague
    While riding home today a trash bag blew out in the road ahead of me, which I was unable to avoid running over. The bag blew up onto the front of the engine and promptly melted on my exhaust pipes where they bolt on the front of engine. I've frankly never heard of anything like this happening before and have no real good idea of how to remove this melted plastic from my pipes. Anyone have an idea or suggestion?

Thanks!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If the pipes are chrome, I'd try scraping off whatever you can with a fresh razor blade when it's cool and try removing the rest with an acetone-soaked rag. The last step should be done in a well ventilated area. Be careful to not get the acetone on the frame or it will harm the paint.

Jeff

Comment

Whenever I see a bag blowing on the road I always fear that happening. I've been lucky so far. I do get just about everything else in the world stuck on the header, burned in good sometimes. I have found Turtle Wax Chrome Polish will clean anything that gets on them, you do have to rub,but not too much. I have tried a couple of other brands in the past and this works much better.However, a plastic bag may be so thick that you would have to rub alot. Off the top of my head, I can't think of something that would positively desolve burned plastic. "MEK"(methyl ethyl ketone) is made to remove epoxy,lacquers,adhesives and polyester resins. Very fast drying solvent. My local metal polisher soaks engine cases in it overnight to remove the factory clearcoating. Whatever you try, I would follow it with the Turtle Wax,but the Turtle Wax might do it by itself.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

that sucks!

i was on the highway once in my car, doing 55 MPH through a single construction lane surrounded by barriers. i see a worker up ahead in the construction area run up and kick a tarp, it goes flying OVER the wall, lands in MY LANE! with no where to go i had to run it over. not only did it stick to my exhaust pipes, but it stuck under the car. i had to pull over, and pull the dang thing out. my car smelled like burning plastic for 2 weeks. :x

Comment

Working...
          X