Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straighten my handlebars?

Hi everyone, Happy Holidays!

When I fell on my left side, the left side of the handle bars got bent a few inches out of shape. It’s not so bent that I could not ride (once I fix the mechanicals) but pretty close. A friend said I could probably get it bent back somehow but I don’t know if this is possible and how - or who - I could get to do it. I guess the first part is removing the bars, right? Post-crash, maybe I should slow down so maybe I should be looking for a set of L bars!

Thanks,
    -Bob

replace them definately, once bent and re straightened they will have a weak point and the last thing you need while out for a ride is your bars to snap.
    i speak from experience so for the price of a new set of bars its a no brainer
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Bars are SO cheap.

Comment

If they are kinked, don't try it.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I have L bars
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A slight re-adjustment of the bars is easy and safe with a 3 foot long piece of steel pipe (1.5-2" dia). You may need a friend to hold the bike if the adjustment needs to go up. Otherwise, go against the steering stop and bend steel with your bare hands!

Comment

Working...
            X