Anti-seize on carb parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-seize on carb parts

Ok so I'm almost finished rebuilding the carbs - just waiting on the new o-rings - and am wondering if should put anti-seize on all of the threaded parts (internal and external). I really don't want to have to deal with a stuck air/fuel screw again. So yeah, is anti-seize a good or bad idea? Thanks
    -Theo

I used anti-sieze on mine but only on the external parts.
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

I never do but I don't see how it would hurt on the bowl and diaphram covers.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Have not used any yet.

Have not had any problems yet.

Definitely would NOT use any on the mixture screws.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I use it on EVERYTHING that does not come in contact with fuel, directly.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's screwing with rusted/stuck fasteners.

Comment

Ok thanks. I'll put it on all the external screws. I just don't want to go through the same frustration I did to get them apart. I guess now that they are all clean it will be much easier the next time? Thanks.
            -Theo

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
              I guess now that they are all clean it will be much easier the next time? Thanks.
              -Theo
              Just keep riding the bike. If you must store it, store it properly, there won't need to be a "next time".

As part of normal maintenance, you might check the adjustment on the mixture screws. Probably shouldn't change much, if any, but just the process of twisting them a bit to check them will keep them free for many, many years. They only get to the point of frustration that most of us have experienced because of years of neglect.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Put pods on it. You'll take the carbs apart so often getting the jetting right that anti-seize won't matter. Just kidding, sort of. I put it on mine when I first put them back on the bike after a log overhaul (float bowls and tops only). It probably was not necessary. I certainly haven't reused it during the times that I've had it apart since then.

Comment

Working...
                X