Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video clip of my bike, what do you hear going on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video clip of my bike, what do you hear going on here?

Sorry for the crappy quality of the video I dont own any good recorder.. but I took this video because I have a sort of ticking sound thats been getting louder.

I know its hard to hear sorry.. I just can't get any better video of it? I looked around and listened, the sound seems to be coming from where the front spocket would be, its a rattle / metallic sort of sound. Doesn't seem to be coming from the engine itself, but rather behind it and low down.. Any guesses?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVx8iWhdj7k

Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2009, 05:17 PM.

I can't really hear anything strange in that video, but I'd guess that there's a loose internal baffle or external heat shield in the exhaust if you're hearing something goofy.

Also, in most original GS exhaust systems, there are supposed to be these sleeve connectors or gaskets where the sections of pipe slide together under the engine. These are very commonly missing or deteriorated, and can cause a ticking noise and even backfiring.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

What do you mean......"where the front sprocket would be."

The sprocket isn't there ? Do you have the bike disassembled to some degree ?

What do you think it is ?
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I agree with Brian.
        Start looking/feeling for an exhaust leak........

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          I can't really hear anything strange in that video, but I'd guess that there's a loose internal baffle or external heat shield in the exhaust if you're hearing something goofy.

Also, in most original GS exhaust systems, there are supposed to be these sleeve connectors or gaskets where the sections of pipe slide together under the engine. These are very commonly missing or deteriorated, and can cause a ticking noise and even backfiring.
          Bingo.

The ol' Skunk rattles under the right footpeg until the exhaust heats up a bit. I do understand the OP's concern though. It's a bit disconcerting till you figure it out.

Comment

Well, I said "where it would be" just because I don't know where it is, other than "hiding behind a cover somewhere." Haha.. never had the bike apart down there so I'm just guessing that the sound is around the sprocket.

Checked all over exhaust, only strange thing I noticed was.. two small holes which appear to be factory drilled into the bottom of the pipes for what reason I have no idea.

I thought it was an exhaust leak at first, but now I'm just not sure. I guess I will have to play Dr. and figure out whats going on in there, I am sorry the video sucks it's much easier to hear the sound in person. I noticed the sound actually got quieter also later on when i started it up again.. It may very well be a shield somewhere rattling or something I didn't notice.

It's cold and dark now, I'll give it another look tomorrow!

It's a good thing if you guys dont hear any strange sounds coming from the bike.. maybe it's just me!

Comment

Probably not the sound you hear but........do you know when the valves were adjusted last ?
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I know this sounds crazy but it does work. Get a long socket extension and place it in different areas of the motor and exhaust and up to your ear. You can pinpoint where the sound is comming from.

Also get a fan and let it blow (high speed) on your motor so you don't hear other things you don't wish to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                  Probably not the sound you hear but........do you know when the valves were adjusted last ?
                  Was going to recommend this. Make sure you have accurate feeler gauges as well. The actual motorcycle pieces you can get from Motion Pro and the like are the best. Angled, and small enough to not run into the sides of the valve spring. I chased odd noises all over the bike until I realized my feeler gauge was bent at the tip, making accurate adjustment impossible.

Comment

is the chain a lil loose? it might be ticking on the frame

Comment

I use a stethoscope made of fuel hose to hear for any exhaust leaks/ ticking noises.
                      Anyhow, something else that might make a little bit of noise: cam-chain adjusted?
                      And for sure, adjust the valves.

Eric

Comment

I have an 8 valve engine i believe, 79.. so I have to do the shim nonsense. Valves were probably not ever touched the bike has 7K on it I'd like to do that next.. shim this thing.

I actually do the extension trick / scope trick sometimes I just didn't have the daylight tonight to give it a go

My chain appears to be loose yes, but I am hearing the sound with the rear wheel sitting still so although the sound is coming from that area, I guess it can't be the chain.

I do recall reading about the dampening springs in the clutch rattling.. I replaced the 6 outer springs but the ones inside the engine could be the culprit too I suppose?

Noises are so tricky. One elimination at a time i guess!

Comment

one of the by products of combustion is water. The holes are factory drilled to let the water drain and not sit in the pipes, prematurely rusting them out.
                          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Working...
                          X