Testing starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing starter

Is there anyway I can test the starter on my '82 gs 750e without removing it? I don't want to have to remove the carburetors and the cam chain tensioner only to find out the starter is O.K. I'm an expert at taking things apart but an idiot when it comes to putting things back together. I have the service manual, I'm still getting a click from the starter relay but the starter won't turn.Battery tested good,can't jump start.Ran fine and then stalled,when i tried to restart it, the infamous click from the started relay was heard.I guess I'll work on this while I try to put a water pump in my son's 750IL!!HELP!!

one way i know of would be to take jumper cables and go directly to the starter. take of starter cover and hook up cables to battery. touch the ground to the body of the starter and touch the positive to the stud where the cable bolts to it. if its good it should bump.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

what bike is this?? does it have a kick starter? have you tried that to see if the motor hadnt seized? Can you put it on the center stand or some other way to get the back wheel off the ground? if so try putting it in gear and try turming the back wheel a bit to 1) see if the motor turns a bit when you do that and 2) maybe the starter clutch is stuck or something and this might jiggle it free.. my old ford truck has a problem where the starter sticks sometimes on the flywheel and doesnt engage.. may not be any of these but i am thinking outside the box here. Im only ask about the seizing because i was wondering if you had checked the oil before starting it? I have forgot to check mine before and had luckily caught it before anything had happened...
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck

Thanx chuck for your quick response,anyway it's a '82 gs750e with 16k, oil is good, I tried starting it yesterday by running it down the hill and popped the clutch,it turned but would not start, I'll try jumping the starter tonite when I get home from work, it's just clicking at the starter relay,never had a problem before,when I hit the starter button,the lights don't even dim,just the f****ing clack,driving me CRAZY! Thanx again.

Comment

well at least you know the engine isnt seized and the clutch isnt stuck..I would guess that if the starter bumps going in the direct route like i said then that would imply ..to me.. that the relay is indeed bad.

Comment

Chuck

Thanks for your help bro.I'll let you know what happens.Peace

Comment

If it wouldn't push start there is a good chance it won't start cranking with the starter either. You lose some voltage to the ignition when you engage the starter, even with a super good battery. I'm not saying don't worry about the starter, you need to be able to spin the engine over to diagnose the no-start (stall) situation. The big question is why did it stall?

Comment

OK, couple of quick checks here:

1: Get the bike close to your car. Leave the car engine OFF, connect jumper cables between car and bike.
                Turn on bike switch, try to start engine. Better?

2: If #1 did not help, leave jumper cables connected, use an old screwdriver to short across the two large terminals on the starter solenoid.
                WARNING: THERE WILL BE SPARKS.
                That provides a direct connection from battery to starter motor, you don't even have to have the key ON to try this one.
                The engine will not start, but the starter should turn the engine over.

Try those, report back.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve

Thanx for the info steve, I'll try that as soon as I get home from work,I'm all excited woo-hah!!

Comment

Not that you would try this with the bike in gear or anything, just though it might be a helpful reminder.

TIP #345 Before one begins poking around at the wires that can and will cause the starter to engage always make sure the bike is in neutral. On center stand would work also.

Comment

Steve and tejasmud

Well, tried direct wiring to starter stud and.................nothing@#$%$.I took the starter out, whats with the removal of the cam chain tensioner?I removed the carbs(what a joy) and I was able to slide the starter rightout.Does anyone else know of the useless info in the repair manual about removing the CCT to get the starter out? It looks like I could have gotten the starter out without removing the carbs also!I even tried hot wiring the starter out of the machine,no go.Anywhoo thanx steve for the info and I'll try to keep u updated.Theres a used starter on Ebay for 40 bucks,unless u know where I can get one for less than the 417 bucks bike bandit is selling one for!And tejasmud,good suggestion,learned the hard way about hitting the starter button off the bike.OUCH!

Comment

If theres any numbers stamped in the casing PM me or post a pic.. i have a few starters out in the TACKLE BOX. maybe one will work and i have tested them so i know they are good

Comment

Before you spring for a 'new' starter, take your apart. The brushes might just need to be cleaned, they might need to be replaced. The armature might need to be cleaned of carbon (brush) dust. Lots cheaper than a 'new' starter.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

JAYD,

I agree with Steve. Easier to rebuild in most cases.

Here is a thread with some pics on the starter brushes and what one Member dealt with. Sort of goes through what they seen, tried, and ended up doing.

The thread sort of died out, but sometimes this means the issue was resolved.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

rebuild

Thanx tejasmud , I'm planning to take the sucker apart on Saturday,it's about 20 degrees here right now,and I know the ole ' ball and chain would never let me work on it in the house!(It smells! Its dirty! oye ve! women!)Thanx for your help, kudos to you too Steve, thanx guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X