stator test 1980 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator test 1980 GS1000

1980 GS1000. The stator test shows it's working great. While reading the stator papers I noticed that they talked about a bike running on only the battery for a while. Mine goes from fully charged to dead in minutes. The battery is maybe 4 months old, I have recharged it 1 million times. Guess I should get this battery tested. What do you all think? Bad from the store?
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Should definately check the battery. It's a charging system, everything needs to work together. With the reg/stator circuti disconnected the bike should run for 1-4 hours on just the battery- depends on if you use the headlight
    Last edited by Guest; 12-15-2009, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Personally, I don't know of ANY battery that can stand being recharged "1 million times".

I know you were exagerating (a bit), but if you have had to recharge it that many times or that often, how the heck did you ever ride the bike?

Or do you just have a very long extension cord to power the battery charger as you ride?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

With the battery connected and the bike running, what is the output of the r/r at the battery terminals? At idle? At 4000rpm? Have you cleaned all of the connections involved? Connections at the stater relay? the r/r unit? the fusebox? the grounds? etc? Have you run a ground wire from the r/r directly to the battery's negative post?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Dead Battery

The old GS1000 made it around the block and I Almost didn't make it home. My first rides were just up the street and back not far enough for the problem to show.
          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
          Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
            My first rides were just up the street and back not far enough for the problem to show.
            Just guessing here, but you probably started it several times in the process of tuning and getting it ready to run. You say it has been charged "1 million times", but with what? Keep in mind that it takes time to recharge the battery while riding. Short rides up the street and back that are not far enough for the problem to show are also not far enough for the battery to get recharged from the effort of starting the bike.

Take the battery to an auto parts store that can do a proper load check on it. Your battery is likely toast with that kind of abuse, in spite of its relatively young age. If you have the cash available, spring for a sealed AGM battery. AGM is a construction type, not a brand name. Any place that sells batteries should know what you are talking about. If they don't, look somewhere else.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
              The old GS1000 made it around the block and I Almost didn't make it home. My first rides were just up the street and back not far enough for the problem to show.
              I would urge you to go to Basscliffs site and check on how to set up a battery correctly

Charging too soon or too much can kill your battery
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
              X