Noisy Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisy Engine

My 1978 GS750 has always been kinda noisy in the engine (but she runs marvelously). I assumed it was normal from all of the posts I've read about noisy GS's. However I was riding the other day and noticed while "sneaking" away in 1st gear, that the engine got very quiet. I can reproduce it every time now. I very,very gently let the clutch out while pulling away and the noise quits completely. At a stop, I can release the clutch a bit and hold the break and their is virtually no engine noise. Is it time to replace the clutch? My clutch has never slipped, and I've had this noise for 3 years. It's been the most reliable motorcycle I have ever owned. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I noticed (sort of) the same issues. Mine will make a chattering noise if the idle gets rough or if I lug it down in high gear going through town.
    The clutch appears to function perfectly but I 'm worried that something loose might be is causing damage.
    The noise "sounds" like it is coming from the rear of the engine but that
    may just be wishful thinking.

(Sorry vcamargo99, don't mean to step on your post).

Comment

Most GS's have noisy clutches to some extent. GS1000's are by far the worst. They do get worse as the clutch wears but there's not normally any need to worry until the clutch starts to slip or judder. At that point replace whatever is worn. Always replace the springs, they are too cheap to worry about.
      However if your noise has started suddenly, it is worth checking that your clutch centre nut is still fully tight.
      Also note that good carburettor balance can make a world of difference to the level of clutch rattle.
      Finally it is possible to have the clutch basket reconditioned, i.e. the transmission springs within the basket assembly can be replaced, either by yourself or by a good tuning shop or similar. This also helps, albeit temporarily.

Comment

Just a follow-up. I fiddled with the cam chain tensioner on my "other" bikes and it significantly quieted the engine. So I thought..."get the manual out and do the same for the GS750". Well, I took of the tensioner...followed the greasing and instructions to the letter...and wala...Much, Much quieter. I can still further reduce the noise with my "slight clutch release" method, but now that the engine has quieted down I hardly care to mess with the clutch, until I have to. Now it's just beautiful engine noises of parts moving and things "churning" inside. I believe my cam chain did not have any tension on it at all. Thank you all for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by vcamargo99
          Just a follow-up. I fiddled with the cam chain tensioner on my "other" bikes and it significantly quieted the engine. So I thought..."get the manual out and do the same for the GS750". Well, I took of the tensioner...followed the greasing and instructions to the letter...and wala...Much, Much quieter. I can still further reduce the noise with my "slight clutch release" method, but now that the engine has quieted down I hardly care to mess with the clutch, until I have to. Now it's just beautiful engine noises of parts moving and things "churning" inside. I believe my cam chain did not have any tension on it at all. Thank you all for your help!

Vic I just recognized your name and where have you been hiding

Comment

I told you...I sneak in and out real quietly from time to time...but I'm always here! Glad you're around too!

Comment

Working...
            X