Signal switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signal switch

Does a 1983 GS750ED have self canceling signals? How do they work? I keep reading adds to sell older bikes than mine with self canceling signals, but mine requires me to move the lever back to center. My Yamaha, i push it in and they cancel. Do I have to dismantle the switch and clean it? Is this how mine are to work? :?

Re: Signal switch

I believe if the switch is the type with a single button that moves right to left for turn signals and up and down for high and low beam, it will self cancel.
    If its the two button switch, it does not. (I'm not positive though) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Clone
    Does a 1983 GS750ED have self canceling signals? How do they work? I keep reading adds to sell older bikes than mine with self canceling signals, but mine requires me to move the lever back to center. My Yamaha, i push it in and they cancel. Do I have to dismantle the switch and clean it? Is this how mine are to work? :?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I've got an '83 750ED, and the signals do not self-cancel.

This is misleading, actually, as self-cancelling motorcycle signals are set on timers that simply shut the signal off after a pre-set time limit. What it seems you're wondering is if this bike has push-button cancelling signals.

It has neither. At least, mine doesn't, and it seems to have the factory switches. Which is particularly annoying, as even after I rebuilt the switch and replaced the spring, after twenty years it's still too worn to feel the "click" when trying to center the switch after a turn while wearing winter-weight gloves....

But I just ordered a set of switches and controls for a newer Katana - I'll post how they work when I get them swapped...

-Q!

Comment

Hi Q! Glad to see you back!
        Clone. If it helps you any: My '79 GS1000E has self cancelling signals.It has a distance sensor in the speedometer. If the bike is moving 10 mph or faster,the flashers will turn off in about 9 seconds. The timer will not operate when the bike is stopped or is going slower than 10 mph. Only when the bike runs at speeds faster than 10 mph does the timer operate to switch the turn signal off automatically when the total time above that speed exceeds 9 seconds. When the turn signal knob is switched on again before it is turned off automatically,flashing will go off 9 seconds after this time at speeds faster than 10 mph. Flashing can be turned off manually whenever you want. Mine were very inconvenient at intersections,etc, so I disconnected mine at the speedo and I prefer to use them manually. Much safer!
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
          X