Shaft drive mag to spoke conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft drive mag to spoke conversion?

Are there aftermarket spoke wheels that will mount to a 1980 gs850 shafty?
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

This topic comes up every so often, have not seen any positive results yet.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I keep hoping.... I just dont like mag/cast or billet wheels... Thanks...
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic

Comment

Gonna have to get a chain drive bike. People have talked about making a Madura wheel work, but that would require some serious fabrication, and a top notch welder.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
          Gonna have to get a chain drive bike. People have talked about making a Madura wheel work, but that would require some serious fabrication, and a top notch welder.
          My roomie is looking into trying a boulevard wheel. The inner hub spline matches and from what measurements we could gather a 15" wheel with the 170/70 tire would put you back pretty close to stock of a GS 17" wheel and propper tire. It will fit in the swinger with room to spare and it LOOKS like it will mount with little trouble. There will be some necessary mods but they shouldn't be any more in depth than the guys like me doing the gixxer conversions. This wheel coupled with something a bit more
          modern up front would go a long way in stopping and helping with handling. These aren't spokes wheels however so this doesn't really apply to the OP but just saying it's possible. Now if you have fab skills I'm betting a BMW or Guzzi wheel could be made to work. They have shaftie spokes and they are also a bit more modern in tire uses as well.

Comment

You'd basically have to take the inner hub from the 850 and weld it inside the donor wheel right? That or get the whole shebang, shaft and all and mod it to fit the tranny at the other end.

Comment

Intruder 1400 rear wheel looks like it might also be a good candidate.

15" spoke wheel w disk brake.

No idea if it would work but the parts catalog images look right.

What has to be done to the Maruda wheel? The drive spline part numbers are the same as the 81 GS850G and 86 GV1200
              Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

what year intruder?
                -Mark
                Boston, MA
                Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                sigpic

Comment

I flipped a 96 1400 intruder so had it for a couple of months. That looked like it might work.. I didn't actually fit it to the shaft on my 1000G but it appeared to be the same.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
                    Intruder 1400 rear wheel looks like it might also be a good candidate.

15" spoke wheel w disk brake.

No idea if it would work but the parts catalog images look right.

What has to be done to the Maruda wheel? The drive spline part numbers are the same as the 81 GS850G and 86 GV1200
                    When I had a Madura, I would frequent their forum where they were trying to go the opposite way with Mag wheels from gs's. I don't know what was necessary, but check them out to see what they need to do to make them fit. If you do go this route, you will want the GV1200 rear wheel since it was available with a disk rear brake.

Personally, the madura spokes were ugly flattened spokes (some would say they matched the rest of the bike's general ugliness ) that tended to rust quickly in my climate. Likewise, the maduras were a limited production (2 years) and so finding them may be difficult and/or pricey.

I think the marauder/intruder route will work best since the relative quantity of wheels is high. I believe the shaft drives hubs will match up with other models throughout the years but don't have any real proof.

Comment

Much appreciated! I just really really want to get rid of the mags at some point. Or cover em up... hmmmm.... wheel covers.....at least the rear, and put a spokie up front...
                      -Mark
                      Boston, MA
                      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                      sigpic

Comment

I would say just buy a chain bike and be done with it. Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
                          I would say just buy a chain bike and be done with it. Dan
                          Too easy.

Comment

If someone wants to experiment, I have a rear spoked wheel off an Intruder that you can have for the cost of shipping (about $10 I'd guess). I got it off eBay for its spline, which is now on my '82 850G. The wheel is in good shape, but of course it has no spline. This thing is just taking up space in my garage, I'd love to get rid of it.

Comment

You could mount some bigger hard bags on the back - That would just about cover the rear wheel, then spoke the front....Just a thought???

Comment

Working...
                              X