No Second Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Second Gear

Well i got my bike running, and took for a spin down the street, go thru the gears and second just clatters, like it yoou dont engage a gear all the way. How hard is it to repalce, and does anyone have any spare transmission part for a 85 gs550e

Take out motor. Take off crank case covers and anything that inhibits the cases from spliting
    Turn motor upside down and remove oil pan. Remove all case bolts. Split bottom case and swap trannys.
    You'll need a complete gasket kit and all the seals.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sorry about your bad luck. Yes you have to split the cases. DON"T ride it like that. The trans could jam up.

Comment

well this sucks bad

Comment

It really isn't that bad of a job. You don't have to do the top end just split the bottom.
          Check out K&L motor stands. They work great especially for the job you have in store.
          This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

i just have to split the bottom? Explain further please!!

Comment

Originally posted by firetruckmechanic View Post
              i just have to split the bottom? Explain further please!!
              Tip the engine upside down on the work bench and take the side covers, clutch and gear change bits off and split the cases. Leaving the cylinders, head, etc on the motor. Crankshaft stays in top half of motor when the bottom half is lifted off. No need to disturb the rotor, starter motor, etc. You will see what needs to be removed when you get stuck into the job with the motor on the bench.

Comment

You have to split the bottom of the cases.
                Do you have a manual? This will tell you where all the case bolts are.
                You can get an idea by looking at my thread. The jugs and head will stay on (top end)
                I suggest you get the engine stand so you can turn the engine upside down to split the case.

Comment

Came across these on ebay while looking for parts.. should be a rather cheap fix for your bike

Comment

Working...
                  X