Size & placement of exhaust gaskets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size & placement of exhaust gaskets.

So last week I bought exhaust gaskets for the 750 Kat project. I got them at the local Suzuki store so I assumed ( here we go) that they are the correct ones for my application.

Yesterday I was getting ready to bolt on my exhaust system in preparation for some ( soon to be I hope) fire in the hole.However, I don't think I have the right size gaskets since when I put them in they promptly fall out as they are not snug to the port walls as I would have expected. I measure the port wall diameter at 1 13/16" while the gasket is 1 23/32". I know they are supposed to expand when crushed but it seems to me they should first sit snuggly in place prior to inserting the pipes.

Do I need to replace these or am I imagining a problem?

As always I appreciate all input.

Cheers guys,
    Spyug

I've always had to put a smidge of grease on mine to hold them in place while I mount the exhaust. They should be fairly snug, but not so snug they won't fall out. before they get crushed.

Comment

Sounds perfectly normal. I always squish mine across the diameter just a wee bit to make them oval shaped so they'll stay in. It doesn't take much.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Sounds perfectly normal. I always squish mine across the diameter just a wee bit to make them oval shaped so they'll stay in. It doesn't take much.
        That's what I do.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X