engine seized from sitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine seized from sitting?

now I have had this happen to engines before, but I had planned on rebuilding them anyway. this engine was running when I covered it up a year ago and I don't want to tear it apart. the starter wont spin it, and neither will pushing it in gear. any thoughts?

Lube the cylinders and let it set a few days. I have had luck with auto tranny fluid. Any penetrating oil will probably work. Can't be too stuck over that short of time.

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
      Lube the cylinders and let it set a few days. I have had luck with auto tranny fluid. Any penetrating oil will probably work. Can't be too stuck over that short of time.
      as I look back to the day I tried it was below freezing. but I will try the lube, I was thinking it but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts otherwise. thanks

Comment

I agree with Rich.. doesnt seem that just a year would be that catastrophic.. I have used tranny fluid too or just spary a bunch of PB blaster into each cylinder and let set a few days.. Be prepared for it to smoke like a chimney for a good period of time till all the oil and such get burned off and the rings are settled in again.. That would be normal ..
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Try Marvel Mystery Oil or as mentioned ATF. You might have to let it sit and soak for a week or more but generally things will come free or so I'm told. In my case with the 82 Kat project I had to pull the head and whack the pistons to force them free. I still haven't managed to have it fire up but i'm hoping that might be this weekend.

After sitting for just a year I'd think they'd free up fairly easily so give lube & or penetrating fluid a go.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

does that bike in qustion hve a kick starter?? maybe if so you could see if it moves that way?????
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The oil may of been very thick with the cold temps.
              I doubt one year would seize a motor.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post

20w-40 oil would be thick as hell sub zero
                be nice ant take the thing indoors or else drain the oil and heat it and pour it back in.

as luftwaffe in stalingrad as it seems a bucket of boiling hot water over the cylinder bank wil also work wonders

of course i come from a place where we used to light fires under heavy equipment to heat up the oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                  20w-40 oil would be thick as hell sub zero
                  be nice ant take the thing indoors or else drain the oil and heat it and pour it back in.

as luftwaffe in stalingrad as it seems a bucket of boiling hot water over the cylinder bank wil also work wonders

of course i come from a place where we used to light fires under heavy equipment to heat up the oil pan.
                  I plugged in my Chevy Diesel in NE Ohio so it would start in the mornings. I witnessed a river freezing one year. BRRRR
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I plugged in my Chevy Diesel in NE Ohio so it would start in the mornings. I witnessed a river freezing one year. BRRRR
                    Freezing river is so pedestrian, on fire, burning river is so much better. Northern Ohio is so wonderful, can't imagine anyone wanting to leave.

Comment

Just thoughts, But failure to turn crank (w/previously running eng.) has 3 most probable causes. Hydrolock. siezed piston/s. frozen valve. siezed piston on a sealed eng., rare in 1 year. also, hydrolock (fuel drains down/evaporates ) safest approch, Pull plugs. prod starter. if hydro locked, will be messy but no harm done. if seized valve, damage is already done. if still locked up, insure cam chain tension is close before attempting to rotate crank backwards.if crank refuses motion forward & aft, piston/s most likely culpret. luck, just trying to save you some time. G

Comment

allright guys, I'm going to put some lube in there and let it sit for a week or so. I'm in no rush anyway, I'll let you guys know if it worked.

also no kickstart on the 80-83 gs450 thats why I was trying to push it.

Comment

just a quick update, it was warm for a couple of days (over 40) so I pulled the plugs and tuned the engine with a ratchet. I did put some ATF as suggested and it turned fine. now onto the rest of the bike.

Comment

Great to hear!

Comment

I had one seize in three or four months, in a humid climate.
                              It eventually freed up but it took a lot of persuasion.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X