Rebuilding the Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding the Stator

The GS has done nothing but give me troubles this year. All electrical.

Since I cant afford the $300 US + associated cost to buy the Electrec parts I need I am going to try to rebuild the stator myself. Using the info from the GSR Garage. Has anyone else tried this? What should I be aware of? Any sugestions?

Rake

I did it years ago, still going (sometime in mid 80s)

Get the right grade wire or a little bigger than stock (electrical motor place will have some), replicate the original windings for turns and direction. Takes time, no real tricks.

Comment

Take careful note of the direction of the turns.
      Take careful note of how the wire from one coil leapfrogs two coils and links to the inner wire of the third coil.
      (Getting this wiring pattern replicated is most important.)

Cut both wires going into one coil.
      Cut the coil with a hacksaw, across the wires, so you end up being able to unfold the wires from the plates as a single unit.
      Count up the wires, gathering them into bundles of ten, so you can wind the same number on again.

See what kind of insulating material is underneat the wires.
      Make sure you have the right insulating paper and wire.

Wind carefully and slowly, being as neat and tight as possible.
      Solder the coils together in the manner you have already noted.

Heat the assembly in the kitchen oven set at medium heat for a good half hour. Then take it out to the shed and soak it in a tray of varnish. Let it sit there for another half hour to make sure there is no air bubbles left among the coils. Let it hang to dry.

File the varnish off the surface of the metal plates where the rotor passes, as the varnish can reduce the clearance too much.

That should just about do it.

On the other hand - if you are going to take the thing apart anyway, you might be able to find where the old one has failed and just repair that bit. then do the heat and varnish thing to seal it all up again.

Kim

Comment

Call a local motor repair shop and ask them what type of magnet wire to use. Tell them the operating conditions (bathed in oil, temperatures around 240 degrees at times, stator output (around 350 watts to be on the safe side)). They will hook you up with the correct magnet wire to rewind your stator. They may ask to see the stator to insure that they give you the correct wire size. Also ask them what varnish to use. They may be persuaded to dip your stator once you have finished winding it.

There has been some great advances in insulation materials for windings in the past 20 years...if you do it right you can end up with a stator that will last longer and put out more wattage.

Hap

Comment

Working...
        X