'78 GS1000 valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS1000 valve cover gasket

This is the 1st time I received the wrong gasket with 4 other different GS models that I've purchased from the dealer. They list it as the correct one for that year and model, but obviously from the pics you can see they don't match. I will be taking both the gasket and cover in with me on Moday to exchange, but wondered if anyone with the '78 model had the same problem? Same 16 bolt pattern but different layout by the cam chain...and yes, the pics are not orientated the same way but you get the idea.

I can't say I have had a problem but it looks like it would work. Maybe take a pic with the gasket laying in the cover.

Comment

The cam chain tunnel is wrong. The gasket is cut at an angle and the cover is straight.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by alocker View Post
        I can't say I have had a problem but it looks like it would work. Maybe take a pic with the gasket laying in the cover.
        Well, it does look right at first and I thought so when I bought it. I found it didn't match when I put it on the bike getting ready to re-assemble things after my valve adjustments. Look closely at the center camshaft contour and you'll see that there would be close to 2" of surface on each side that wouldn't have a gasket sealing it and would leak all over. My service manual shows the same contour as my bike, so I assume at this point that they(dealer) listed it wrong.

Comment

I gotcha. Your solution is probably the best, just bring the cover in or return it and shop elsewhere.

FYI I have a new one coming in the mail for my 78 also. If it fits I will post the correct Suzuki PN.

Comment

BTW, Here's a pic from Z1enterprises' web site for this model/yr. Matches my cover.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

...but, the local dealer has been very good to me for the last 3 yrs with comparable prices, so I'll try to work it out with them on Monday.
            Just annoyed that I lost a weekend....as if I'm going to ride much with freezing rain/snow in the next week
            Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2009, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Babbittsonline only lists one part number for all the 1000's, just like Z1 does, but in the OEM version: 11173-49001
              Their picture does not show the shape of the gasket, so IDK.

Comment

Good news...stopped on my way to work and the dealer apoplogized for giving me the wrong gasket (incorrect part#) and even had the correct one in stock for an even exchange. I'm happy, since it still cost less than online prices plus shipping and no wait on ordering the part. This may run contrary to a lot of your experiences with dealers for these old GSes, but Freedom Cycle's part dept. in Concord, NH has been excellent to deal with for the last 3 years for my vintage GS bikes.

Comment

Hi,

It's great to see a dealership give these classic bikes (and their riders) the respect and service they show the newer machines. I'm glad it worked out.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X