(1982 GS450) Having Idle Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(1982 GS450) Having Idle Problems

I have a 1982 GS450 and it has starting doing something weird. The idle is erratic sometimes it idles fine and then other times it just won?t stay idling. I tried adjusting the idle and when I turn it up it floats down to an idle. While I am driving it runs perfect! I have replaced the sparkplugs, air filter, and I never run gas under 90 octanes. Ok, and now the weird part! When I turn the handle bars all the way to the right it raises the idle to about 2-3000 rpm. I checked the throttle cable and it does not move. ?? Does anyone have any idea?? This has been driving me nuts!

PLEASE HELP!

Justin

your throttle cable is binding somewhere. open your seat up, and remove the bolt holding the gas tank to the frame. remove the fuel line and the vaccume line from the petcock, and carefully pull the tank off the bike. check the throttle cables for bends and kinks or anything out of place. remount the tank makign sure the throttle cables are not getting smushed.

you can also try to move the cables around with the tank on...but if they dont move, then you have them pinched and that's probably the cause.

i would make sure you have this issue resolved, then see how the bike idles, and we can go from there.

g'luck,

~Adam

Comment

It has to be the throttle cable getting tightened by either not enough adjustment slack or the cables are not routed correctly,or the cable needs lubing.Make sure it's lubed first.Then the throttle generally should have about 2-3mm of play.If that's OK, some manuals will show you the proper routing. Two more things I can think of is, the cable could be damaged inside the sheath and if a strand of the steel cable breaks,it could hang up in the sheath. And if you are not the original owner,maybe the wrong length cable was installed.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Yea, I just figured it out. The nuts on the throttle cable got loose and tightened up the cable. So I just gave the throttle some slack and it is all better! Now it's running PERFECT! Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it!

Justin

1982 GS 450 T

Comment

glad to hear. 8)

Comment

Working...
          X