Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help with this part id and why the ignition key does nothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone help with this part id and why the ignition key does nothing?

Hi

I have a 650gs 1983 Australian model that I bought a few weeks ago.

I have just been trying to start it today.

I have been searching the forum and basscliff site with no luck.

I have put a brand new charged battery in and checked all the fuses, they look ok, but I do not get voltage across them.

I have 12v across the battery.

When I turn the key on I get nothing, no lights, nothing.

I cannot find anything on the forum but I may be searching for the wrong words.

I also have a black box connected to the battery holder with a spare connection that I am not sure where it goes. I have included a picture.

I am thinking I do not have an earth somewhere.

Joe
    Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2009, 05:41 AM.

I think the part is a flasher unit, but I am not sure why there is a loose wire.

I will pull the ignition switch apart in the morning.

I turn the key and it turns right to left around almost 180 degrees, is this right?

Should I have power across the fuse when the key is on?

Comment

Hi Mr. indyjoel,

That picture looks like a turn signal relay. Even if it's bad it should not keep your bike from starting. You can get a new OEM part for about $40 plus shipping, or just install an aftermarket part. Some 2-prong electronic relays will plug right in to the existing socket. I've also got a guide on my site.

You'll want to check and clean every electrical connection on your entire wiring harness. Make sure the starter relay (solenoid) is properly grounded. Make sure the battery's negative post is properly grounded to the engine. Make sure the regulator/rectifier is grounded directly to the negative battery terminal. Make sure the starter button switch is operating properly as well as the ignition switch. Let me say "Howdy" and point you toward some more info...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by indyjoel View Post
        I turn the key and it turns right to left around almost 180 degrees, is this right?

Should I have power across the fuse when the key is on?
        Hi,

The ignition should have 4 positions. The leftmost position left is the "Lock" position and locks the forks in either the "hard left" or "hard right" position. Turning the key clockwise, the next position is "Off", then "On", and "Park" is to the right. In this position the bike is off but the tail light is on.

Which fuse? Are you checking one side of the main fuse to frame ground?

BassCliff

Comment

Hi BassCliff

thanks for the response. I am going to check the ignition switch now to make sure I have the key in the right spot

I was checking across all fuses.

Comment

definitly a bad ignition switch me thinks

I now have power across all switch positions and even when the key is out of the switch

OUCH ahhhh....

Comment

Oops! LOL! Did it bite you?

Happy wrenching!

BassCliff

Comment

Not sure if your Aussie model is wired much differently than our US model, but you should have power across the MAIN fuse at all times, key on or off. The AUX fuse will also be powered at all times. The other three fuses should only have power when the ignition switch is in the ON position.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

HI all

quick update.

Me being an idiot realised that I had an earth connected to the positive.

I hooked it up to the earth and I had power. If I pressed the starter the bike would at least try to kick over and the headlights power on and the high beam.

I still have to get it started and fix the lights such as high beam indicator, the flasher unit.

I will start another post for all this

Thanks for all help

Comment

Working...
                  X