Ill Gs700e, bogs and backfires and dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill Gs700e, bogs and backfires and dies

I have a 85 gs700e that I just can't get running right. I had a bad fuel tank and petcock and since have replaced both. Now the bike will start and idle fine but driving to work at 20mph it will start missing and backfiring. AT high rpm's it seems fine till you let off the throttle. I roll the throttle back and I can usually clean it out the first few times but then it will just die. I have had the bike to my repair guy and it never does it for him or at his place. I am getting frustrated and don't know where to go from here. Does anyone know where to find carb rebuld kits for this bike? Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Try just opening up the carbs and cleaning them out. Sounds like they maybe gunked up

Comment

CLeaned

I have filled them with cleaner but my repair guys says I am looking at 500 for new diaphrams if we crack them open. Any suggestions?

Comment

Re: CLeaned

Originally posted by fafinsab
        I have filled them with cleaner but my repair guys says I am looking at 500 for new diaphrams if we crack them open. Any suggestions?
        I've opened plenty of carbs and as of today have never had one with a bad diaphram, but if it did happen that all 4 were bad and you purchased new then $500 would be about right. You will find plenty of posts and how to's on carb cleaning with one of the best guides ever located on this site under "Carb cleaning Series".

Comment

Ok

My guy said he did not think he could get them open without disturbing the diaphrams, will the guide on this site work for my carbs? I have the service manual. Just hard to find a good mechanic around here ans I don't have the time. This guy is real nice and honest just does not know alot about this bike.

Comment

Don't sweat the diaphragms. Yeah, you'll have to pull 'em. but unless you're particularly brutal, they'll ease right out. Just yanked and cleaned the carbs on my brother's GS700E yesterday, the toughest part was physically removing and replacing them.

Once you've got the tops off you'll notice an arched tab on the edge of the diaphragm (where it sits in the carb body). Slip a fingernail (the shape is perfect for this) between the diaphragm and carb body, and gently roll the edge of the diaphragm out of the corresponding groove in the top of the carb. Once you've loosened it, the slide and diaphragm assembly should slide right out.

The other thing we ran into was removing the float pivot pins- they weren't staked in, but sure felt like it. Ended up grinding the tip of a small nail flat (to make a small-diameter punch) and driving the pin out with a light hammer.

HTH

Bill

Comment

If all else fails, look for a set of early (86-88) GSXR flatslides. These are much better than the stock Mikuni's, and can be had for about $150. You can probably find a set with a jet kit already installed as most of these bikes were moded. I have used both the 86 GSXR 750 31mm carbs and GSXR1100 34mm's on my 83750ED. They bolt right up to the stock boots and offer much better throttle response and performance over the stock carbs. I would not spend more than $100 to get the stock carbs right, in the $500 range, you can get smoothbores or RS Mikuni's. Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

Are the 86-88 GSXR Carbs the same as early 90 Katana 600 carbs? I know they have a flat slide, are they easier to tune then the CV's?

Comment

Working...
                X