Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging/Electrical issues w/ 79 GS1k

Hi All,

Today was my first ride on my GS1000. Everything was great because of the recent tune-up and new parts install.

The issue I have is this. With the new battery, after riding for a couple of hours today, the bike failed to start after a short stop, again at the gas station, and a third time just on the road. All three times I bump started it. It seems as though I had been running on the battery all day.

I got home and checked the battery with my meter and it said 5 volts! My shop said charge the battery over night and then try starting it tomorrow. While running I should have the rev's up around 2,500rpm and check the battery with the meter. He said if the battery reads 13.5 volts then it's not the carging system.

Is there anything else I can do or should check before I take it back to the shop. Is there a common issue with the gs's that I can look for and fix myself?

Thanks All

Your manual should say something about 5000 rpm.

You'r manual should tell you to run it up to 5000 rpm as well to see what happens. If the volts climb over 15 and keep going get a new rectifier/regulator. If the voltage drops off test the stator. If the stator fails get the new R/R and new stator.

Check out the R/R first then look back in your manual, or thegsresources stator pages for that test. As you go your bound to find wire problems. Bad grounds, conections, and fried wires. Clean and grease all the connections + repalce bad connecitons.

Comment

If it helps to know, I have a Dyna S ignition.

I'll look in my Haynes manual.

Comment

After a little testing and diagnosis at the shop, we figured that it was the rectifier that was causing the problem. It looked as though one of the previous owners had installed some jobber of a unit, not a stock replacement.

After replacing this, is there anything else that I should do as well that will benefit or prevent any mishaps (Unusual wear or ??)

Also how hard is it to remove, rebuild, and re-install the alternator?

Thanks

Comment

Keep the connections clean.

Keep the connections clean. I went through and put contact lube on every conection I could find between the charging, battery, starter, and ground system.

Comment

Working...
          X