Shinko tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinko tires

Anyone have any experience with the Shinko 230 tourmaster tires? I am considering installing a set on my `79 Gs1000E. Shinko`s or Bridgestone spitfires which is the better choice?
    sigpic1979 GS 1000E:cool:
    Southside Chicago

Bridgestone Spitfier 11's are my rubber of choice . They stay "planted" , wet or dry and wear fairly well . Cheers , Simon .
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Shinko seems to have taken over from Cheng Shin as the "cheap" replacement tire.

The Tourmaster 230 is a V-rated tire that is rated WAY above the capability of any of our bikes.
      Their model 712 is an H-rated tire that is still rated above our bikes' capabilities, but not as much.
      The V-rated tire is a bit softer for the traction required at the higher speeds and might wear out a bit quicker.
      The 712 is a slightly harder compound that should still grip well, but will last a bit longer.

I looked into getting a set for "Freebie" when I was getting new tires, but could not get both tires at Tires Unlimited on the day I was looking, so I went with Kenda Challengers.

You ask "what is the best tire?" on this forum and 10 guys will give you 10 different answers.
      The "best" tire will be the one that you can afford that will keep you upright, given the way you ride.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When I get around to buying tires for the GK, I'm getting a set of Shinko 230 Tour Master. I'm very happy with the Shinko 712's on my 750.

Here's a link to their website. if you'd like some more reading.

Shinko Motorcycle Tires offers a wide selection of long lasting motorcycle tires for V-Twin Cruisers to off road Moto and ADV riders. Distributed by WPS.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I've got the Shinko 230's mounted on my KZ 750. I installed them at the end of the season so have not put any miles on them yet. I think they were a little over $100 shipped so the price was right and I like that they are V rated. My GS has Pirelli RT66 tires and I really like them. They handle well on dry pavement and in the rain. Price is also reasonable.

Comment

I like the Avon Roadriders but Sport Demons get good reviews but are even more pricey.

The Chengshins used to ride really well so if these Shinko's are anything like them then I would go for it...

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

a couple of months ago, i got the shinko 712 on the rear because it was the best tire...ie., the cheapest tire through amazon, with whom i had enough points accumulated to cash in toward the tire. i live in the flatlands around myrtle beach, so it does just fine. i have thought about the spitfire RWL for the bike, though. if i still lived in the mountainous wv, i would probably have held out for something hard in the middle and sticky on the sides.

Comment

I have a Shinko 712 on my 1100G right now and really like the tire. Nicer than the Chen Shing Hi Max and the Marquius. More tread depth and looks and feels like a much better made tire. I only have 500 miles or so on it so I can't comment on the longevity, yet.
                GS Score Card
                4-400 Series GS's
                3-500 Series
                1-600 Series
                1-700 Series
                4-800 Series
                1-1000 Series
                2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The "best" tire will be the one that you can afford that will keep you upright, given the way you ride.

Kinda like the Harry Hurt quote about helmets, eh? Tell me exactly how much traction you have to have, and I'll tell you what tire you need.

Comment

Working...
                  X