jetting for altitude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jetting for altitude?

I don't know if this is a real concern or not, but if a vacation trip was going to be done at a higher altitude say ranging from 1000 to 3000 ft higher than where you normally ride, is it necessary to jet for the higher altitude or is that just a wasted effort?
    Currently the bike has stock everything, airbox, jets and exhaust.

Originally posted by Clone View Post
    I don't know if this is a real concern or not, but if a vacation trip was going to be done at a higher altitude say ranging from 1000 to 3000 ft higher than where you normally ride, is it necessary to jet for the higher altitude or is that just a wasted effort?
    Currently the bike has stock everything, airbox, jets and exhaust.
    In full stock format, it shouldn't be needed. If you were going to drag the thing in Denver, you would want to lean it out a little. As it is...It may even run a little better.

You will likely notice a little less power but plenty to spare.

Comment

Denver - Hah!

I routinely run from sea level to 6,000' without a problem.

I don't think you'd be having an issue unless you're over 8-9,000', where the air starts to thin out

I remember there was a guy in central Colorado who needed to lean his carbs out, especially after his "mechanic" made them richer than stock
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'm at 6,100 ft just at the southeast edge of Denver, and my GS runs a little fat here, but it's not worth doing anything about. CV carbs should handle the altitude changes better than a regular slide carb, and I wouldn't want to lean it out here and head to the coast and run it on the lean side....

I haven't had the GS much higher in elevation yet with winter in full effect, I just bought it in Oct and spent the first couple of months sorting and tinkering...

Comment

i did not notice any difference moving from wv to myrtle beach last year. not as big an elevation change as others post.

Comment

Won't be a problem.

I've been to Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina on my GS several times (6,684 feet) and never even noticed a difference.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Like others said, you'll be fine.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X