Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

secondary gearbox bolt

Hi Guys,
    I've been reading and learning ever since I bought my gs850.Great sight!
    I recently discovered fresh oil on the top of my secondary gearbox. It does not appear to be coming from the air box. The second bolt in on the back top of the gearbox can be turned in either direction with ease. This appears to be my culprit. What is this bolt and how do I repair it.
    Thanks,
    JTGurn

I'm not sure I'm picturing which bolt you're talking about. Can you post a photo or a better description?

Here's a shot of a GS850 secondary (cover over the gearshift area removed) showing the fill, drain and level plugs -- maybe this will help us get on the same page:

(The stator cover is also missing from the engine in this photo, but you don't have to remove it to get to this area.)
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi, Thanks for such a quick reply!
      If you look down at the fill plug from above you will see a size 11 bolt to either side of it.
      There are 2 more a couple inches to the right, one of which can be seen in your photo.
      My problem bolt is the one straight back from this one. I hope this is clearer, but if not I'll try and figure how to attach a photo.
      Thanks again,
      Jtgurn

Comment

The bolts on top pointing down are case bolts, they hold the cases together. They should be torqued to a specified amount. If one is loose, I would recommend checking the rest to make sure they are torqued properly as well
        EDIT: I use one of those case bolts for my negative engine ground.

Comment

Working...
        X