Real Quick Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Quick Questions

1) I noticed when my friend went to start his GS500E (its a '99 inline 2 cyl) the other day, he hits the choke, starts it and literally is able to dump the choke immediately and go driving - from a completely "cold" engine. My GS550L take a good 5 minutes to warm up before I can take the choke off.

I know my bike is running rich because of a gas overflow problem (which the parts are here waiting for me to install them). Do you think this could be why it won't run with the choke off until its completely warm or is it just because of the type of carbs or motor?

2) What exactly is "adjustment #1" in the picture? I want to know what it does exactly (i know its not an idle mixtire screw as the 85's didn't get them) and how many turns should it be out?

3) When I was in the bike shop yesterday, the K&N catalog claims that as you go bigger in jet sizes, the LESS gas is given to the motor....
    I thought the bigger the jet, the more gas you got?

Thanks for the Input!
    -Al Conforti

The adjustment I think you're asking about is the screw used to sync the carbs. There are no set turns, but by adjusting you are physically adjusting the amount the throttle plates open in relationship to each other. You may be confusing the main air jet vs. the main jet in regards to fuel flow. The following link may help. http://www.dynojet.com/motorjet.shtml

Comment

NO, adjustment number 2 is the sync adjustment....that I do know

Its number 1 that is sometimes called the air screw, mixture screw or a plethra of different names. Im really trying to figure out if it controls air or gas at low idle.....

HOLY CRAP! That website with the diagram is the exact diagram I was just looking at.....damn im an idiot, your right! I WAS reading the description of the air jet! - hehehehe! Question Answered!

Thanks Again!!!
      -Al Conforti

Comment

Let's take a deep breath. I believe you're correct in that the #2 adjustment is the sync screw. I don't know what #1 is, but usually if the adjustment is between the carb and engine it adjust fuel, but if the screw is on the air filter side it would adjust air. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

no, that's cool! I really appreciate the reply!!

-Al C

Comment

Working...
          X