Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kill Switch Broken

Hello,
    The wires going to my kill switch came off. One is solid orange(red?) and one is orange with a white stripe. Problem is, im not sure which one goes where. I can see where to solder them, there is one towards the "run" side, an done towards the "off" side. Thanks for your help,
    DG

DG,

Doesnt matter. The kill switch is just that, a switch, it is either open or it is closed.

Further info:

- the orange wire at the switch is from the Ignition Fuse, so is the hot wire to the switch. And a confusing detail might be that on the other side of the connector to the bikes main wiring harness (in the headlight shell, so maybe you havent seen this) this becomes an org/wht wire.

-the org/wht wire at the switch (could say "after" the kill switch) also goes to the starter button.

- in the case of this question it doesnt matter much. But typically it would be good for you to have the year and model of your bike(s) in your signature line, so we know what bike you are asking about. Goto: User CP, signature Line.

Last edited by Redman; 01-09-2010, 12:50 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

All of the diagrams I just looked at show the same color wires going in and out, but Redman is correct, it really does not matter (in this case) which wire goes where.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, thanks guys

Comment

so theoretically you could eliminate the kill switch by just attaching the two wires?

Comment

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
            so theoretically you could eliminate the kill switch by just attaching the two wires?
            Yeah, but why would you possibly want to do that?

Evidently you have never actually had to USE that switch. (I have. )

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              All of the diagrams I just looked at show the same color wires going in and out, ....
              Oh, Geeper. Yah. I was looking at Suzuki factory schematic (that I have hanging here) for 82 GS1100GK (suppose I should have stated that), and that matches what DJ was saying: an org wire and a org/wht wire at the switch.
              Oh, man, maybe I should check with Steve first.
              ha ha (jokeing)
              And I didnt bother to describe about the red splice connectors.

But If I look at various color schematics in Clymers manaul (earlier editions had color schematics) I have for the G/GL/GK, schematics for some models/years show the org and org/wht (and red splice connectors) and other schematiics for other models/years show org/wht and org/wht at the kill switch. But this is all minor point, and perhaps the Clymer schematics do not properly reflect what is on the bike. I would not think some kill switches made with one set of colors and other kill swtiches made with other sets of colors.

The main point is: doesnt matter which wire goes where on the two points on the kill switch.

And DG hasnt stated what year/model he is working on. (and I havent searched his past posts).

Last edited by Redman; 01-09-2010, 03:19 PM.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                And DG hasnt stated what year/model he is working on. (and I havent searched his past posts).
                OK, if you're going to challenge me, make sure you are up to it.

I took a moment to look up his bike, it's in his very first post, 10-01-2009, 04:09 pm, and, well, I'll just let him describe it:
                I just got my 1980 Suzuki GS 450. Im interested in chnaging the handle bars etc... to make it more cafe looking. ...
                After looking up the GS450 manual on BassCliff's site, I find that the solid orange wire feeds the "kill" switch, the orange wire with the white stripe is what goes from the switch to power the coils and the ignitor.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Yep.

Comment

thanks guys,
                    my bad-its a 80'GS450(pictured below)
                    DONT WORRY!Im not going to get rid off the kill switch, and I HAVE had to use it!

Comment

managed to solder it

Comment

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
                        ... -its a 80'GS450(pictured below)
                        Missed the picture in your post. Where is it?

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                        X