Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost Brake part

Gentlemen,

I took the pins out that hold the rear brake pads on my '79 GS850 and the 2 spring things went flying. I found 1 but not the other yet. These are the things that hook around the pad and shim and go under the pins. I have it back together without the missing spring. How bad is that? What do those things do?

Thanks
    Brian

Those springs apply a bit of tension to the pads to keep them from rattling around.

Highly recommended that they be there.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I looked for two hours once for one of those and found it directly under the bike.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well I'm sure it will turn up. Maybe I'll sweep the garage.

Thanks for the responses.

Getting frustrated having to wait for spring. I've got the old 850 running real good. Just need for the snow to be gone.

Brian

Comment

Easy enough to make one from a paperclip, using the other as a template..

pair of snipe nose pliers, and a pair of normal pliers.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein View Post
            Easy enough to make one from a paperclip, using the other as a template..

pair of snipe nose pliers, and a pair of normal pliers.

John
            I don't think he was talking about the hairpin clips. I got the impression that it might be #8 in this diagram.
            (It's hard to see the "8" in the diagram, it's the part just above the pads.)

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve,

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
              Gentlemen,

I took the pins out that hold the rear brake pads on my '79 GS850 and the 2 spring things went flying. I found 1 but not the other yet. These are the things that hook around the pad and shim and go under the pins. I have it back together without the missing spring. How bad is that? What do those things do?

Thanks
              Brian
              Sorry to rain on your day . If it helps though, I've lost #8 in that diagram twice now. It's a tricky one to find in a dirt floor

Comment

Magnets work well for finding small metal parts on the ground. I have successfully used an old round magnet from a deceased speaker to find parts lost in the lawn. Good luck.

Comment

My garage is a oily mess. I have a pan of old oil that I drained out of the 850...I bet that spring went into there.

That diagram is for the front brake no?

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
                    That diagram is for the front brake no?
                    Yes. and a few more
                    sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Number 9 on this diagram !

and both of mine are paperclips opened out.. (spring wire) and work fine.

John

Comment

Ahhh, my bad, sorry.

I missed the part in the original post that said "rear" brake.

Yep, I would go along with part #8 as suggested above. I also agree that a heavy-duty paper clip will work.

Its function remains the same as was I suggested earlier, though, it's still to keep the pads from rattling.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

i was thinking it was #7 on the diagram.
                          1979 GS850G
                          2004 SV650N track bike
                          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Yes John, #9 is the thing I am missing. Well if I can't find the lost one then I'm make one.

Thanks for all your help guys. This forum is great.

Brian

Comment

As I said, easy enough to make, and there is no way I'm paying £3 each for paperclips that's about 5 bucks each over here

John

Comment

Working...
                              X