Smokin' hot engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokin' hot engine

I have run my new engine for about 200km so far, and smoke billows off it when it gets hot. usually when the oil temp guage gets to 130-160C (320F) or so. I think my oil temp guage is inaccurate, when i ground it out it shows way over 160C. I know that the new paint will do this for a while, but how long. I am wondering if I have an oil leak somewhere I doesnt leave any on the ground, so it would have to be a leak from something that has oil pressure.

320F seems a bit hot to me especially around this time of year. Mine might approach 320F if Im stuck in traffic on a day over 90F.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      320F seems a bit hot to me especially around this time of year. Mine might approach 320F if Im stuck in traffic on a day over 90F.

Ya, my guage is borked i think, my old engine ran a bit cooler, but it was a 750 this is an 1100. I have another guage set, I am thinking of swapping out the temp guage. How hard are these to take apart? I am also getting an oil cooler soon, which should help.

Comment

That's way too hot IMHO, Gearhead, if that engine is stock. If the P.O. was running a cooler that has been taken off, check that the oil filter cover has been changed back to the stock item too. Even with hard running during summer my 1100 won't get above the halfway point on the gauge (slightly above 210F in Dave's pic), except in a gridlock situation. I'm running an oil cooler, with the hi-vol pump gears. My friends 1100 with the 1260 bore kit would frequently reach the temps you posted though...I could feel the heat on my calves within a few miles, when I rode it during summer.
        Probably worth looking at the plugs too, if the carbs were jetted by your bike's P.O.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

The bike is not running lean according to the plugs. My temp guage ALWAYS slowly gets up to 160C no matter what ambient temp it is. Same with the old 750 as well. Takes about 1/2 to 3/4 hour of riding in town for the needle to peg out. Not hard riding either, just cruising on the pilot occasionally on the needle. It has to be the guage, like I said when I ground the lead to the sensor the needle points nearly straight up, past 160. I have used three different sensors as well.

Comment

Just so you know, when you ground the gauge, it's supposed to go full-scale.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it's possible to tell, (just by the amount of heat radiated by the engine), if the oil temp is actually high enough to peg the gauge, or if it is somewhat normal, and you have a bad gauge, given your experience . If you can, borrow a Harley-style immersion oil thermometer, and verify the gauge's accuracy that way....as Steve said, one of the tests in the Suzuki manual for proper gauge function is to ground it, and see a maximum reading displayed.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Hot!!!

As soon as I saw the title of your post, I figured it must involve a GS1100. My GS750 gets hot.... but not hotter than you might expect for a motorcycle. My GS1100 gets really hot.....seemingly more so than any other bike I've ever owned.
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                  I think it's possible to tell, (just by the amount of heat radiated by the engine), if the oil temp is actually high enough to peg the gauge, or if it is somewhat normal, and you have a bad gauge, given your experience . If you can, borrow a Harley-style immersion oil thermometer, and verify the gauge's accuracy that way....as Steve said, one of the tests in the Suzuki manual for proper gauge function is to ground it, and see a maximum reading displayed.
                  I have seen those harley type dipsticks, but I dont think they would be long enough to reach the oil through the oil filler cap. When I ground the gauge, my understanding is that it should show max ie: 160C or 320F. Mine goes past max with the needle pointing almost straight up. Seeing as how we have a wind and rain storm here, I think it would be a good time to swap temp gauges from the other cluster I have from the '82 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                    . When I ground the gauge, my understanding is that it should show max ie: 160C or 320F. Mine goes past max with the needle pointing almost straight up.
                    Good point! The manual says 320F (160C) should be displayed, and the accompanying picture verifies it.....if your gauge needle is at the 12 o'clock position, it's probably out of calibration.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

If it thinks max is at straight up, and it should be 320C, just call it that. So if you ride and it says 320C it must be near 210, a sharpie should get you fixed up in no time

As far as the smoke... um depends on the paint and temp it was rated for... Maybe let it cure longer before running it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                        If it thinks max is at straight up, and it should be 320C, just call it that. So if you ride and it says 320C it must be near 210, a sharpie should get you fixed up in no time

As far as the smoke... um depends on the paint and temp it was rated for... Maybe let it cure longer before running it again.
                        The engine was rebuilt and painted 24 years ago I have no idea of what was used. It must still need the heat curing time
                        I get a little paranoid when my temp is maxed and smoke billowing off the engine. (even though I know the gauge isnt right) Its also a little embarrasing when you are a stop light and your bike is smoking that much.

Comment

Ahh you made it sound like it was new paint burning off, if that is the case I wouldnt rule out it being to hot... but would also say someone must be more qualified than me.

Perhaps your valve cover gasket is leaking and some oil is spilling out and burngin off. Thats what happened to my 94 nissan, new valve cover gasket and no more smoking engine.

Comment

The oil temp sensor is next to the oil pressure sensor on a small cover below the carbs on the RH side of the crankcase. The cover comes off with two screws so I recommend removing it from the bike, fashioning some extension wires, and testing the circuit on your bike by dunking the sensor in boiling water (212F). I did this when rebuilding the gauge cluster on my 1000S and was able to verify calibration of the gauge and sensor. Don't guess, measure.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I like the way you think!

Good way to clean the faces too...

Comment

Working...
                              X