Blue Smoke - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Smoke - Help!

The first time I started my GS550L after being in storage for 7 years I noticed blue smoke coming from one of the tail pipes. If the bike's burning oil, any idea what might be causing it?

Seven years? It's probably dry valve seals or stuck rings. You might try some penetrating oil in the cylinders for a couple days, and then change the oil and run it. With a little luck, if it's rings they will loosen up with use. There are some "snake oil" products that claim to help swell bad seals and stop leakage, but I haven't used any.

Comment

I've revived several bikes from long storage. Stuck rings are almost always a problem. I don't know about snake oil but I DO KNOW that a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in your next oil change wwill speed this process along quite nicely. Add a quart to each gas tank fillup as well for the first 500 or so miles. MMO is a detergent additive I believe. It works great for stuck rings. Of course if you don't mind looking at the smoke just ride it, it'll clear up eventually.

Tim

Comment

I'm with "jeffm" on his theory about the valve seals. My extremem left exhaust valve leaks on the left cylinder. When it's first started, there is no blue smoke, but after warming, the hot pipes burn the oil inside. If it's not smoking when cold, it's probably a seal on the exhaust side. Take the headers off and check. Good luck!
        -Sean

Comment

How many snakes do they have to squeeze to get a quart of oil?

Comment

Working...
          X