changing fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing fork oil

I started to change the fork oil on my 82 1100g which I've never done before. I took back the rubber caps on the top and found a nut with a flathead screw in the middle (picture attached). what is this screw and do I need to remove/loosen prior to undoing the nut? I tried to undo the nut but it wasn't budging so I thought I'd better check first.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2010, 04:05 AM.

Have a look here -

Your fork caps don't look standard for your model - either model D or Model Z.

Comment

Undo the top yoke pinch bolt first. Then use a good ring spanner (22mm i think) NOT A SHIFTER to undo that nut. If you really want turn the slot anti-clockwise to put less pressure onto the spring. If you cant budge use WD40 liberally and let stand over nite. Ill be taking the front wheel out, then the mudguard then take one fork at a time out and let stand upside down to drain the oil. But remember to undo that nut first. Just watch for some spring pressure when its undoing. There a fine thread so be carefull of crossthreading

Comment

Yep, what Sharpy said!
        Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
          ... Then use a good ring spanner (22mm i think) NOT A SHIFTER to undo that nut. ...
          For those of us that don't speak "Aussie", I think he's saying "use a box-end wrench, not an open-end wrench ..."

Tip:
          Use a large screwdriver, push in on the screw and turn it anti-clockwise until there is minimum pressure on it. There are notches in its position, much like setting the preload on the rear shocks. This will minimize the "sprooiinnnggg" when the cap reaches the end of its threads.

Another tip:
          After you get the "nut" (it's actually called "fork cap") off the top, pull the spring out (you will be doing that anyway), put the fork cap back in place and turn it until the threads catch. Pull up on the cap, turn it very slowly until the threads release. Repeat this until you can be SURE where the threads release. Use a marker, make a mark on the tube and the cap to show this location. When you are ready to re-assemble the fork, it will be a simple matter to align the marks, push down on the spring and know that the threads will catch almost immediately when you start turning the cap.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think he is saying don't use an adjustable spanner (wrench) use a ring spanner (box wrench) or a socket is easiest in my opinion.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yeah, I guess "shifter" could really mean a wrench that "shifts" sizes.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I will also say what has been said above:
                That does not look at all like anything on the forks of the 82 GS1100G (GK actaully) nor 80 GS850G that I have had.

Hopefully the folks giving the advise are speaking from expereince on whatever model does have something like that.

To get the caps off the GS1100GK and GS850G it is best to loosen (but not remove) the caps while the tubes are still clamped in the front end. THe best way to hold the fork tube is to leave it clamped in the front end.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by ianralph View Post
                  geez thanks for that resource. very handy. Your right, it seems the forks are off another model. Probably not the only part on this bike Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll give it another go on the weekend. Landshark I sent you a PM I wouldn't mind catching up and leeching any GS knowledge you have. Good to know there are other GS'ers on the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo View Post
                    geez thanks for that resource. very handy. Your right, it seems the forks are off another model. ...
                    Which will then bring up the next two question:
                    - how much / what level oil to put in?
                    - what weight of oil?

Go by manual for your model of bike... but that is not what forks you have.
                    Go by manual for what ever forks those are... but that is not what bike you have.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Which will then bring up the next two question:
                      - how much / what level oil to put in?
                      - what weight of oil?

Go by manual for your model of bike... but that is not what forks you have.
                      Go by manual for what ever forks those are... but that is not what bike you have.

I need to look a bit harder at the pics, but those forks tops look like the ones on my '81 GS1100E.

'85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Do you have a dampener dial at the bottom of each fork?? Those are '81 1100E front forks I believe.

You don't need to move that big sloted screw to remove the caps, it just sets the preload of the springs - three different levels. It might be very stuck and will be easier to free once it's isolated...

As you unscrew that large cap (use a socket) be ready when it lets go, there's a good amount of force behind it & the spring will come flying out.

The service manual for those forks states:

15w fork oil
                        fork oil level = 216mm (8.5")
                        capacity each leg = 238ml (8.04 oz)
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                          You don't need to move that big sloted screw to remove the caps, it just sets the preload of the springs - three different levels. It might be very stuck and will be easier to free once it's isolated...

As you unscrew that large cap (use a socket) be ready when it lets go, there's a good amount of force behind it & the spring will come flying out.
                          No, you don't need to move the big slotted screw, but since it adds preload to the springs, if it is set to add preload, they will fly that much harder when the threads let go. Back off the preload, if you can, to minimize how far they get thrown across the garage.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            No, you don't need to move the big slotted screw, but since it adds preload to the springs, if it is set to add preload, they will fly that much harder when the threads let go. Back off the preload, if you can, to minimize how far they get thrown across the garage.

Where's the fun in that? Nothing like spending a few hours searching for your fork cap. I personally like a socket for this task. You might need to remove your handlebars to do it, but a half inch drive ratchet and a 22 mm socket will work best, in my humble opinion. Using the ratchet allows you to press down on the cap while turning it, lessening the chance of it flying all over. If your springs are stockers, it probably won't have too much pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I agree, but if his preload screws are just as frozen as mine were, you can spend a lot of time trying to turn that screw, and most likely buggering up the slot a bit.

Once the caps are off & you can spray the internal pin with some PB Blaster to get it free - then clean it up. There's a rubber seal in the sleeve that I couldn't get out on mine, but I cleaned everything up & lubed it well & all works as it should now...

However, rebuilding those dampener rods inside the tubes was a PITA.
                              '85 GS550L - SOLD
                              '85 GS550E - SOLD
                              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                              '81 GS750L - SOLD
                              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X