No announcement yet.

Change oil after tipping bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:-) :-) :-) :-) Seriously though Andy, if the voltage is low, the spark is weak or the electrical system isnt up to specs for whatever reason, you can have black burning plugs and first instinct is that the carbs are set too rich.
    If your carbs are set right, the plugs run normal and then you notice they are fouling, its unlikely they have taken it on themselves to try different settings. The cause will not usually be found with the carbs. :-) If the bike starts running poorly, carbs are the last thing you would check and adjust.

Earl

Earl

Originally posted by Jeckler
    Dang, so that explains my lack of power and that extra wire hanging down below the carbs. One question Earl, which carb do I hook that wire up to?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: gas in oil

Originally posted by Klaus
      I've never heard that gas in the oil will hurt anything.

...I've had my dirtbike on the ground a million times, sometimes upside down, never had a problem whatsoever.
      I would not change the oil because the bike fell over.
      Klaus
      Yeah, I agree. Although you don't say so, I suppose your dirtbike is a four-stroke? Anyway, In the described circumstances, there couldn't be more than an ounce or two of fuel in the crankcase as a worst-case-scenario.
      A simple two-stroke engine has a crankcase that is purposely stuffed full of fuel/oil mixture at 50/1 or similar. Why doesn't the two-stroke blow up or seize?
      If a tiny bit of oil in all that fuel can lubricate the two-stroke engine, certainly a tiny bit of fuel in our four-stroke oil won't cause our engines to fail! Certainly fuel/oil ratio in this contaminated GS engine is 1/50, not 50/1!

Diluting the lubricating oil to a tiny degree in a four-stroke is not going to harm the engine, especially when the volatile elements in that gasoline are going to boil out quickly.

It is SOP in cold-weather operations to significantly dilute lubricating oil in aircraft engines with fuel just prior to shutdown. There is a cockpit control to do so. When the engine is next started, the diluted oil provides superior lubrication until the engine warms, at which time the fuel boils out through the crankcase vent. No explosions!

Comment

Sorry for the confusion Earl, when I read gas I read it as air, not as gasoline, hence my head scratching. As hard starting I mean that after picking it back up you crank and crank and it doesn't start. This is what I meant with the carbs:

Originally posted by Al Munro
        Having dropped a Kawasaki KZ1000P several hundred times while on a course, I can tell you that the bike can be difficult to start after going horizontal for up to a minute at a time. The usual problem is flooding, so the cure is to open the throttle fully until the bike makes encouraging noises, then back off to about half throttle until it starts. It sometimes took 15 to 20 seconds of cranking before it would go, then another minute until it ran very well.

I personally wouldn't change the oil unless the level was too high. A small amount of fuel will boil out of there without doing any harm.

Comment

Gravity feed is the key....

My petcock is gravity fed, stays on all the time, prime for starting and reserve for god help you......When in the on position, not prime, the gas should not flow anywhere......Leave it on prime for a night, if working, gravity fed you will have gas everywhere you don't want it......I agree that dumping the bike should not have put gas in the crankcase, but, jar the petcock just a little (brittle) and it will malfunction.....Gas in crankcase... 8)

Comment

Re: Gravity feed is the key....

Originally posted by GS1000G
            My petcock is gravity fed, stays on all the time, prime for starting and reserve for god help you......When in the on position, not prime, the gas should not flow anywhere......Leave it on prime for a night, if working, gravity fed you will have gas everywhere you don't want it......I agree that dumping the bike should not have put gas in the crankcase, but, jar the petcock just a little (brittle) and it will malfunction.....Gas in crankcase... 8)
            Your purple prose is hurting my eyes!

Comment

oil in crank

Yes, my dirtbike is a fourstroke. Also, I think if you smell gas in your oil it could simply be piston blow-by fumes that you're smelling.

Klaus

Comment

Working...
              X