model difference help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

model difference help please

My uncle is going to give me his bike. I thought it was an 850G. Turns out it is an 850L. What are the differences? I can see the seat and tank are not the same. What else? I honestly searched and couldn't find any clear comparisons. Thanks for the help, Jon

The "G" is the Gentleman's model; the "L" is the LADIES model.

Just joshing as they say.

The "G" model has the front axle directly under and in line with the fork tubes. The "L" model has a leading link type arrangement where the front axle is out front of the fork tube.

Different tank, different seat, and I think a different rear wheel size as well. The "L" is more of a cruiser model as opposed the the more conventional "G" model.

Others will chime in with other info as I am not an 850 expert, in fact I'm not an expert in anything.

Comment

I think (not an 850 owner) the engines and drive train are identical. The frame and front end are a little different as was noted. It was more of a "cruiser" version.

Comment

I can handle messing with the forks or tank but frame differences trouble me.

Comment

Originally posted by motorjon68 View Post
          I can handle messing with the forks or tank but frame differences trouble me.
          Frame is made for the seat to sit lower. Shorter guys love 'em.

Comment

The only differences in the frame are to accomodate the different seat and gas tank mounts.

Othere differences include taller, pull-back handlebars on the L, chrome fenders (front and rear) on the L, different tail section and tail lights, different mufflers (the L has shorter, raspier-sounding units) and different gauges.

You won't go wrong with either one. Since it's an L, you might want to change the handlebars if you don't want the L's "sit-up-and-beg" posture.

Depending on the year, the difference in the gas tank is huge. The '80 amd '81 Ls had smaller (about 3.5 gallon) tanks. The '82 and '83 Ls had 4.3 gallon tanks. Both of those are smaller than the G's 5.8 gallon tank, and, unfortunately, they are not easily interchangeable.

You might note that there are three 850s currently in my stable, so feel free to ask questions.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X