missfire till warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mac_55 View Post
    .... also does anyone know how to get the air box out with out bending every mounting tab on the frame?
    Please don't think I'm just pulling your leg here, but was it the 400 that you had to pull the engine to remove the airbox?

Seriously. I'm not sure if it was the 400, but I remember seeing somebody post some time back that one model engine had to be removed from the frame to gain access to the airbox for removal.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well that dont sound like fun i think im just goin to give it the old one two and see where it gets me

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Please don't think I'm just pulling your leg here, but was it the 400 that you had to pull the engine to remove the airbox?

Seriously. I'm not sure if it was the 400, but I remember seeing somebody post some time back that one model engine had to be removed from the frame to gain access to the airbox for removal.

Steve, this sounds like an advert we had running over here last year where the customer leaves his auto with a mechanic for a tune up. When he returns to pick up the car the mechanic says, "Well, we had to drop the sump so that we could disconnect the the con rods and draw the pistons to check the spark plugs. And sure enough, they needed changing". The look of dismay on the customers face had to be seen.
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Hopefully somebody will speak up and edumacate me ...

was it the 400 or some other bike that required engine removal to take out the airbox?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I believe there was a thread concerning the 1983 750E that required tipping the engine forward to remove the airbox. I've never personally seen the airbox on the 83, I figured it was the same as the 80-82 16 valve airbox. I've had the airbox out of mine and it did require removing the battery box and a bunch of other stuff but not the engine.

Comment

bike fired right up after i put the carbs back on but the left side is still dead till warm then she pops like a gun till it kicks in ,,
              spark plugs right side looks good left black but not oily
              after work tomorrow i will be looking at the valve clearance any one else have an idea ? workings of a dieing coil ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac_55 View Post
                bike fired right up after i put the carbs back on but the left side is still dead till warm then she pops like a gun till it kicks in ,,
                spark plugs right side looks good left black but not oily
                after work tomorrow i will be looking at the valve clearance any one else have an idea ? workings of a dieing coil ?
                Electrical faults usually get worse when heat builds up. I doubt that you have a dud coil of lead. Re-check the carbs and their mounts. Also thoroughly check the condition of the airbox seals and mounts.

Tight valves could also be an issue.

Because it runs better after it warms up, my bet is a partially plugged pilot circuit on the left carb.
                :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Your symptoms sound a lot like a leaking valve seal. Cold/hardened seals allow oil to drip through.
                  Just a little oil coats the plug at cold start up and it won't fire. As things warm up the oil film wears off from raw fuel washing it and as heat increases it helps basic combustion. It starts firing. The pops you hear are from accumulation of unburned fuel in the header and at some point it combusts. Once fully warm things clear up.
                  I would guess the longer the bike sits the worse the problem? Generally, the cylinder on the sidestand side is effected first, or at least noticed first, simply because of gravity allowing the leak to enter the combustion chamber. Depending on the position of the valve at turn off, the volume of the leak can change. In a worst case scenario, a lot of oil can enter over several days and you'll get a lot of smoke at start up. Other times you may see no smoke at all but the plug can still foul.
                  If the above is the case here, you can clean off the plug well and cold start up may yield a pretty good firing plug. Eventually, you'll have to replace the seals. Parking on the centerstand can help temporarily. Riding the bike more often can help too.
                  Could be other things too as others have said.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

well its getting warmer up here in canada so it seams to be running better now that i ride it everyday.
                    readjusted valves,
                    cleaned carbs,
                    new park plugs
                    adjusted air to fuel

still burns and leaks a little oil but im still goin to ride it

Comment

Working...
                    X