Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running without carb. hose(s)...A no brainer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running without carb. hose(s)...A no brainer?

Hi, all. I'm just learning about this great GS engine...engines, in general. My '77 GS750 has a hose between carb 3 and 4, but not between carbs 1 and 2; the nipples are exposed. I get a very small amount of fuel from the open nipples, a little drippage. Is this some kind of vacuum balance mod? Or do I need a hose pronto? I'm running fine, I guess. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the 4 into 1 exhaust system add-on...

Anyone care to school me?

Thanks,
    Jason

If I understand you correctly, those are vents. A hose should be attached to each one and routed down near the swingarm.

Comment

Swanny is right, and they are called overflow tubes, so if you are regularly getting dripping, they are earning their name, and keep, and you might want to take a look at your floats for a better adjustment.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Re: Running without carb. hose(s)...A no brainer?

Originally posted by hardpattern
        Hi, all. I'm just learning about this great GS engine...engines, in general. My '77 GS750 has a hose between carb 3 and 4, but not between carbs 1 and 2; the nipples are exposed. I get a very small amount of fuel from the open nipples, a little drippage. Is this some kind of vacuum balance mod? Or do I need a hose pronto? I'm running fine, I guess. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the 4 into 1 exhaust system add-on...

Anyone care to school me?

Thanks,
        Jason
        The 2 nipples you are talking about are for the floatbowl vent tubes. Don't get them confused with the floatbowl OVERFLOW tubes. The floatbowl vent tubes provide air to the bowls so fuel can be drawn easily into the carb throat. They are 3/16''. If you see a very small amount of seepage or sweating as I call it, you should be OK. The only time fuel can spill out of these is if you lay the bike down or tilted them at least 45 degrees while off the bike.
        The floatbowl OVERFLOW tubes are mounted to smaller 1/8'' nipples underneath the bowls. 4 of them. If you have too high of a fuel level in the bowls,they will direct the overflow to the ground instead of all over your motor. If you have a stock air box you should have the tubes on. If you have pod air filters you may find the bike runs better if you REMOVE the tubes. I made a topic in this Technical section. It's called "Pod filters require removal of the floatbowl vent tubes." I think alot of people are having problems similar to what I talked about. However,some people were confused as to "which tubes do what" in that topic also.
        You have a 4-1 pipe. IF YOU ALSO HAVE PODS,take a look at my topic and try a test on your bike. Let me know if it helped.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X