gs850 6th gear problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850 6th gear problem

Hi I have a question that I am posting on behalf of a friend (I have a gs650). He has an 81 gs850, and we recently noticed that on the gear indicator light that there is an backlight for a 6th gear, however despite his best efforts its impossible to shift into it. In 5th, regardless of speed, the shifter will not go up anymore. Any ideas what could be causing it?

Don't think any 850 ever had a 6th gear. Maybe the indicator is from a different GS.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Suzuki used the gear indicator on many different bikes. There is no 6th gear on the 850, I wish their was

Comment

Yup -- there's no 6th gear on an 850.

Suzuki never redesigns a part if they can avoid it. So the same gear display board was used on several models.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Only the GS550 came with the 6th gear. All other GS's just used the same part from the 550.

Comment

Originally posted by buddha View Post
            Only the GS550 came with the 6th gear. All other GS's just used the same part from the 550.
            Correction. The smaller 450s and 400s had 6 gears as well.

Comment

If this was my friend, I would see a great entry for a practical joke here, now that you know this information and he doesn't.

Comment

6th gear

Yeah wish my 850 had a 6th gear, sure feels like it wants one sometimes! terrylee

Comment

6 th

i know what he's talking about, though. There is a space for a 6th light, and even the number strip has a 6 on it. I could see the confusion. but if you are looking at it opened you'll see there is no light for a 6th gear.

But...the joke ideas are endless...

I'd start with: "Let me try it."

followed by..."Don't know what your problem is; shifted into 6th just fine for me....got the light and everything. Keep trying. You'll get it."

That should be good for a few weeks

Comment

if he's an experienced rider tell him it'll only shift into 6th when he redlines it in the 5th.
                    that should be fun for him

but if he's not experienced keep him safe and dont let him try it
                    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
                      i know what he's talking about, though. There is a space for a 6th light, and even the number strip has a 6 on it. I could see the confusion. but if you are looking at it opened you'll see there is no light for a 6th gear.

But...the joke ideas are endless...

I'd start with: "Let me try it."

followed by..."Don't know what your problem is; shifted into 6th just fine for me....got the light and everything. Keep trying. You'll get it."

That should be good for a few weeks
                      we could have had something going here...

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                        if he's an experienced rider tell him it'll only shift into 6th when he redlines it in the 5th.
                        that should be fun for him

but if he's not experienced keep him safe and dont let him try it
                        bringing this up from the dead, but didnt see the posts till earlier.

He's an experienced rider, i might hafta to go with "the 850's are known to be finnicky, 6th is only really doable redlining in 5th"

We went for a ride on the LIE (local expressway), we were cruisin at about 65 and when we stopped for lunch he tells me "Man I can't take this bike on long trips it just doesn't feel right, I feel like i need to get it in 6th gear find out why its not working!"

Comment

You guys are cold............ Of course we want to see pix of him trying to figure out where 6th gear is so we can post them all over the internet....

Comment

That is not very friend like guys...That question about the phantom 6th gear has been asked a few times I know I was curious when I was cluster hunting... ofcourse the sprocket cover tells all you need to know... unless the pattern of the shifts is rubbed off it is clearly labeled how many gears you got

Comment

"Most only go up to 10. These go up to 11".
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X