Throttle Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Cable

I am new to this doing my own work on the bike. How do you lube the throttle cable? And what do you use to lube it?

Thanks!!!!! :roll:

I'm brand new to this as well, but this is how I did it with my clutch and throttle and it worked pretty well. Remove the cable. take the smallest funnel you can find and use electrical tape to secure it (no leaks) to the cable jacket. Pour a little motor oil in the funnel and hang it somewhere where the oil will eventually make it all the way through the jacket. You probably want to put a drip pan underneath the cable. to hasten the process a little, slide the cable back and forth while the oil is seeping in. Your cable should work smooth and free after this.

Comment

Adding oil is easy. Remove the cable from the lever, hold it up and dribble a few drops of oil....wait a few seconds between dribbles for the oil to disappear into the sheath/cable cover....then re-install.

There is also a type of pressurized cable lube that I understand has an attachment that permits you to blow the lube into the cable while it is on the bike. I have heard of it, but not seen or used it.

This is a simple procedure, and it is one may riders overlook, but a few drops, several times a year, is all it takes to keep your cables running clean and clear for years.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. My throttle is alittle stiff, I assume that this will free it up? Or should I be looking at something eles?

Comment

I use Cable Life it is an aerosol can with an attachment to allow you to spray oil into the cable housing. I have had good luck with it and a can lasts several years.

I've seen it at several dealers and independent shops.

You can also just by the can of lube if you already have the attachment.

I also have a large Syringe type of an affair, that I got from JC Whitney at least fifteen years ago, that allows you to inject motor oil into the cable housing.

I have also used graphite cable lubes.

But I have found nothing better than the Cable Life lubricant.

Another way I oiled cable years ago was to pull the cable off the bike. Tie the cable to the close line hanging vertically. Make a paper funnel and tape it to the upper end of the cable. Then place a can under the bottom end and pour a little motor oil into the funnel. By the next morning the oil will have flowed from the funnel into the can lubing the cable and doing a minor flush of the housing.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I lubed the cable, now its smooth as silk.

Thanks again
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X