noob question - bike jacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob question - bike jacking

So i have my GS750 which has been sitting for quite some time (pretty much since i got my VTX) and i took it out the other day and enjoyed myself far to much. As a result i have decided to finally fix my speedo drive gear and other such things. but this brings me to my question...

I got a bike jack to use on my vtx which worked great on my vtx and my late vulcan... but on my suzuki the jack cant lift the frame, the exhaust is in the way. now here is the meat of my question which option is easiest?

lift front wheel for spedo drive gear replacement by...
    1) center stand + holding back end down with ratcheting straps (attaching to some point in the garrage i guess)
    2) center stand + lift front end with straps (attaching to rafters of garrage?)
    3) removal of exhaust pipes and using the bikejack.
    4) ???? brilliant idea that i haven't thought of?

I usually use the centerstand than put a small bottlejack under the front of the motor to bring it up just a little. I think I used a ratchet strap once to hold the back down. As long as the wheel is up and the bike is sturdy, you should be fine. It helps to lossen the axle nuts when the bike is on the ground so you dont shake it while the wheel is up.

Comment

Use the center stand and lift the handlebars from something overhead, like a garage door track or tree branch or something. It only take a few pounds lift, a ratcheting tie down or a piece of rope is fine.
      Last edited by tkent02; 01-17-2010, 03:54 PM.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've used the jack with wooden "spacers" between the pipes. Works ok.
        bill

Comment

Stand the bike on a plank and tuck a ratchet strap underneath the plank at the back and pull the back end down = lifts the front up.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

chick-lift

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Use the center stand and lift the handlebars from something overhead, like a garage door track or tree branch or something. It only take a few pounds lift, a ratcheting tie down or a piece of rope is fine.
            Have a very attractive young lady come over and sit on the back of the motorcycle to lift the front end up. If none is available do what tom said above.

The bottle jack, or scissors jack, under the engine also works well but leaves the front end to flop around while you're working on it. Maybe not a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
              Have a very attractive young lady come over and sit on the back of the motorcycle to lift the front end up.
              preferably one that is wearing a skirt of somekind.

Comment

Working...
              X