Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging question

Hey guys I need a little help:
    My bike's been bogging around 1/2 throttle (or so). It's generally between 4-5k RPM and then it seems to smooth out. Recently I took off the air filter and rode for several miles, and it didn't seem to bog-down nearly as much, or even at all. I just put in a new UNI filter the other day, and it's back to bogging. The weird thing is, I know that I'm running rich. Fuel consumption has been as high as 25mpg. I attributed this to a dirty air filter...but even with a new clean one I'm bogging (I haven't taken a reading on fuel consumption yet).

What should I do? I was thinking maybe re-jetting the carbs? I've never done it before...I have a stock exhaust (which has been popping alot). Am I on the right track? Any help would be great.

Assuming the airbox is in good condition. First thing I would do is clean(rebuild) the carbs with the stock jets and replace the intake O-rings.

Factory exhaust?
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      Assuming the airbox is in good condition. First thing I would do is clean(rebuild) the carbs with the stock jets and replace the intake O-rings.

Factory exhaust?
      I recently rebuilt the carbs and replaced ihe intake o-rings.. I began experiencinging the bogging afterwards. The airbox is in decent condition and is clean.

Comment

check an make sure that the airbox is actually sealed. use some weather stripping if need be

Comment

You're really getting only 25 mpg?

You'd better run the basics for us:

1. Valve adjustment?
          2. Carbs synced?
          3. Airbox all sealed?

The fact that you have a stock set up (other than the Uni), you're getting 25 mpg instead of 45 and that it runs better without an air filter leads to something very wrong with your carbs.

Run us through your rebuild
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Float heigth adjusted?
            I've had main jets back out and fall into the bowl.
            Which plugs read rich?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If the UNI filter is foam, is it over oiled?

Comment

Pull the spark plugs see what they look like.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  You're really getting only 25 mpg?

You'd better run the basics for us:

1. Valve adjustment?
                  2. Carbs synced?
                  3. Airbox all sealed?

The fact that you have a stock set up (other than the Uni), you're getting 25 mpg instead of 45 and that it runs better without an air filter leads to something very wrong with your carbs.

Run us through your rebuild
                  Valves were adjsuted 2 months ago along with carbs synced and airbox is sealed. The one problem I ran into with the carb rebuild was that the air screws are seized. I tried EVERYTHING. They will not come out. So I have no idea what position the air screws are in.

Just so you know, my carb rebuild consisted of dipping carbs multiple times, followed by spraying and compressed air. All o-rings were replaced(except the airscrews of course). I did neglect to set the float height...could this be the source of my problem??

All plugs read rich before the filter change. I'll pull them again once I have some miles on the new filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    If the UNI filter is foam, is it over oiled?
                    I don't think so because I have the same problem as before the new UNI foam filter.

Comment

Sounds like you're bogging due to your rich condition.

Check your float heights and possible sag in needle valve springs.
                      Confirm proper jets for airbox/exhaust configuration.

Report back.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
                        Sounds like you're bogging due to your rich condition.

Check your float heights and possible sag in needle valve springs.
                        Confirm proper jets for airbox/exhaust configuration.

Report back.

Good luck.
                        Sounds like I need to check the float heights for sure. I'll do that. How would I determine if there is "sag" in the needle valve springs?

Also, I assume jets are stock since PO did not take care of this machine. I have stock airbox and exhaust. How do I determine jet sizes??? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to motorcycle maintenance.

Comment

Send those carbies to me an I'll get those idle mixture screws out and replace those o-rings.
                          If you soaked the carbs you messed the o-rings up and it will never run right at the bottom end.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfpilot View Post
                            Sounds like I need to check the float heights for sure. I'll do that. How would I determine if there is "sag" in the needle valve springs?

Also, I assume jets are stock since PO did not take care of this machine. I have stock airbox and exhaust. How do I determine jet sizes??? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to motorcycle maintenance.
                            The float 'tang' should just contact the top of the needle valve. If the spring in the needle valve compresses at all when the float is resting on the needle valve, it will cause the bike to run rich (ask me how I know). You can try to set the float heights to compensate, but it's easier to replace the needle valves. Replacement needle valves are available at Z1 enterprises.

Most likely, the jets are stock, especially if the bike retains the stock intake/exhaust setup. The jets will have size markings on them and you can compare them to the stock jet sizes in your manual or in the sticky at the beginning of the Tech forum.

However, if you soaked the carbs with the mixture screws still in place...

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            Send those carbies to me an I'll get those idle mixture screws out and replace those o-rings.
                            If you soaked the carbs you messed the o-rings up and it will never run right at the bottom end.
                            Chef's right. I'd take him up on his offer.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2010, 12:16 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Chef, I might take you up on that, but I need a little time. Unfortunately, the moto is my main transportation. I'll try to find a gap in my schedule when I can get them to you. I'll be in touch.

Comment

Working...
                              X