Is there some kind of Goop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there some kind of Goop?

Is there something that can be put in electrical connectors to make a more positive connection. My plastic plugs for the coils and such are kind of loose. I worry they my not be making as good of connection as they could.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Dielectric

Yes there is a dielectric grease, most autoparts stores carry it, you can also use a silicone spray on your connections. If they are real loose, you may want to get rid of old connections and do your own connections, or hardwire with solder and shrinkwrap...

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
      Is there something that can be put in electrical connectors to make a more positive connection. My plastic plugs for the coils and such are kind of loose. I worry they my not be making as good of connection as they could.
      There is "contact cleaner" that is good for removing corrosion from the metal parts of the connector. It is the connection between the metal parts that you need to be concerned about. It is the corrosion that is often the problem with electrical connections. THe contact cleaner is good for removing the corrosion. THe dielectric grease and other stuff is good for preventing the corrosion from occuring in the first place. The contact cleaner is good for removing the corrsion after it occurs.

(contact cleaner available at auto parts stores. THe stuff at Radio Shack is much more expensive and ment more for electronics).

Dont be too concerned if the plastic parts are loose.

If the metal part of the connector is loose, the female part can be crimped just a little bit to make it fit tighter on the spade part. Just a little makes a big difference. If make it too tight then may have problem getting it apart again and maybe pull the wire out of the connector.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Unfortunately, contact cleaner is good for removing dirt and oil but doesn't do much to remove corrosion. Dielectric grease is to prevent corrosion and keep water out, it does not improve the connection, just protect it. There is a product called Deoxit which supposedly helps cut corrosion in electrical connectors but I'm not sure how effective it is. There are various types of Deoxit but the type with a substantial amount of cleaner in it requires careful brush application which is not pratical. The spray can type Deoxit doesn't have much cleaner but it's better than using contact cleaner if the goal is removing corrosion.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have had success in cleaning contacts with jewelry cleaning solutions like Tarn-X or even Naval Jelly which is actually for cleaning rust. Neither are really rated safe for brass or the softer metals used in newer contacts but if you dip them and let them sit for no more than 4 or 5 minutes, then rinse them in water and dry witha hair dryer or paint stripper gun you will be fine.

The nice thing about this method is you can dunk the whole connector (plastic and all) and it won't harm anything just rinse it well and dry.

Before reconnecting, dialetic grease is a good idea as Ed mentions. If you can't find any, you can use Vasoline or other petroleum jellies.

If you are really anal about securing your connections there is stuff out known as liquid electrical tape which is a thick plastic like substance that can be painted on. It will harden and form an impervious layer keeping dirt and moisture out and the connectors tight.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
          spyug

Comment

I use copper solder flux/cleaner. It comes in a little red tin can about the size of a snuff tin. Works GREAT. Apply it, leave it sit for a few minutes, carb or brake cleaner to rinse it clean and everything looks new, when done. Apply the dielectric grease and reconnect. A little hint, if you apply a little heat, the paste turns into a liquid and will do a better job.

Comment

connectors

Thank You everybody, I will get those connectors clean and tight and see if my 2 & 3 cylinders will stop quitting on me. Its funny when they drop out at low speed, when they pop back on the front wheel jumps off the ground.
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
              Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

a tiny brass bristle brush

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Unfortunately, contact cleaner is good for removing dirt and oil but doesn't do much to remove corrosion. Dielectric grease is to prevent corrosion and keep water out, it does not improve the connection, just protect it. There is a product called Deoxit which supposedly helps cut corrosion in electrical connectors but I'm not sure how effective it is. There are various types of Deoxit but the type with a substantial amount of cleaner in it requires careful brush application which is not pratical. The spray can type Deoxit doesn't have much cleaner but it's better than using contact cleaner if the goal is removing corrosion.
                  I swear by DeOxit! Remember when you discovered P'Blaster and compared it to WD40? It's as big a difference between contact cleaner and DeOxit!

just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                  X