Gear Indicator and Neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Indicator and Neutral

I have a question about the Gear indicator on my 77 750>>I am pretty sure the indicator itself is shot..it seems to always show something inlegible..neutral light works fine but am thinking the indicator itself in the dash is junk...never having a bike I needed to tell me what Gear I am in ..LOL..I'm wondering if this is needed or can I just leave it unplugged and just use the neautral...I realize it runs in the same harness but just leave it unplugged under the tank and seal off the ends...Thanks.

DDM

There is no harm in disconnecting it, but why not fix it?

Take the instrument panel apart, examine the bulb housings. Might be dirty contacts. Might be dirty bulbs. Might be bad bulbs. Use a test light, there should be one contact in there (for each bulb) that is live any time the key is on. The other contact goes down through the harness to the selector switch on the engine, where it gets grounded. If the power checks out OK at the top, check for continuity in the ground wires. You might have to remove the selector switch and clean things out there, but at least there are no gaskets involved.

Having a gear indicator is a wonderful thing, at times.
    Just to show you how far advanced it was at the time Suzuki introduced it, ... my 2000 Goldwing doesn't even have one.
    I have a neutral light and an OD indicator when in top gear.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll tear into the upper section of the indicator today and see whats up..having re-done the motor I know the contacts etc below are ok...so am 99% sure its an issue up top in the instrument area..Thanks for the reply!

DDM(John)

Comment

The indicator switch is under the sprocket cover btw.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          The indicator switch is under the sprocket cover btw.
          Where is the sprocket cover on my 850G?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Where is the sprocket cover on my 850G?

Oh shoot
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X