Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil filter cover stud. .... Helicoil or Timesert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil filter cover stud. .... Helicoil or Timesert.

I may have a stripped out oil filter cover stud (stripped out threads in crankcase). Do not absolutly know its stripped, but is probably close. Last oil change the stud came out rather than the nut comming off. WHen I put it back in it seemed like it didnt tighten down like it should have, but I stopped before it complety stripped out. Cover does not seem to be leaking at present (but have only gone maybe 100 miles since then, mostly has been sitting in cold garage looking out at the ice and snow).

I have some new studs on order.

Question #1:
    What size is the threads on this stud (the threads in crankcase end of stud)?

Do have some experience with helicoils.

Have done a forum search on helicoils (and "heli-coil") and only found one or two in last year (which is suspisious). Did see mention of TimeSerts, and have looked at thier website.

Looks to me that if I were to use helicoils I would have to get a drill bit, a tap and the helicoil insert (but dont know what size).

I like what I saw about the TimeSert (have watched the vidio on website), but for that I would have to get a drill bit, a countersink bit, a tap and a insert tool and the TimeSert insert (again , dont know what size).

Question #2: Any comment?

Want to get a kit that is just what I need for this repair, but dont really know what size I need. Cant compare cost of a helicoil kit to a TimeSert kit, because I dont know what size I need.

I am not a gearhead mechanic that is going to have need of buying a big kit for future use. I just want to get what I am going to need for this one repair.

{on a positive note: only 8 or 10 weeks till have clear dry roads.}
    Last edited by Redman; 01-18-2010, 05:01 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

The threads are 6mm diameter X 1.0mm pitch. Standard metric size.

You can get studs with an 8mm X 1.25mm pitch thread on one end and 6mm on the other (any good real hardware store will have them). If the crankcase threads are in fact truly stripped out, this is another avenue -- drilling and retapping for 8mm would likely be less destructive than a helicoil or insert.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If the threads are not totally buggered I'd chase them with a tap and put the new studs in with blue loctite.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        If the threads are not totally buggered I'd chase them with a tap and put the new studs in with blue loctite.
        +1

Comment

M6 X 1.00mm,
          I used to work with both at job and home and i prefer the helicoil kit.
          Just follow the instructions and time to drill and tap straight(not crossthread).I will check if i have a spare helicoli tap + handle.
          Marc
          https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
          1978 GS1000C X2
          1978 GS1000E X2
          1979 GS1000S
          1979 gs1000
          1983 gs400e

Comment

You may think that you will only need it for this one repair, but once you have the kit (either one), you will find more that "need" it.

You mentioned needing the drill, tap, tool, etc. for the TimeSert, well, you need them for the Heli-coil, too, so there really isn't any difference in that respect. You don't need a countersink tool, and the rest of that will come as part of the package that you can probably buy at Auto Zone for about $30. OK, I just looked at the Auto Zone site, it's a special order item and it's $35 for a kit with 12 inserts. Try looking at a "real" auto parts store, they might have that size in stock.

I believe the size for those studs is 6 x 1.0 mm. Not sure what length, but that does not matter for the topic at hand.

I know that several on the board have expressed their opinion, saying that the TimeSert is so much better because it is a solid piece that threads in, where the Heli-coil is only a wire, and it might unthread when you try to remove the stud (bolt, whatever). My personal experience with Heli-coils has been rather positive. I have used several of them over the years with only one failure, and that was probably my fault for improper preparation. My only experience with a TimeSert is the one that came out with the spark plug on my #2 son's 850 a couple of years ago. Tried to wrestle it off the plug without success, ended up swapping the head. (Turns out there were other problems, too.)

Since you are using these to put studs in, I don't think that having the Heli-coil back out would be an issue. You could use some Loc-tite on the Heli-coil and the stud to be sure, that way, the only thing coming loose is the nut on the outside end of the stud.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Originally posted by omaharj View Post
              +1
              +2 -- first determine whether the threads are a total loss or not before removing precious aluminum from the cases. There is VERY little room for error here, and you have to remove a lot of metal to get an insert in.

Keep in mind that these studs do not need to withstand a lot of force. Hmmm...

If there's any thread at all left, just enough to locate the stud, you might also try using an epoxy putty on the threads to fill things in. In fact, there's a "Form a Thread" kit that would be perfect.

Come to think of it, this might be the best approach to try -- if it doesn't work out it won't hurt anything.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I've wanted to try that "form a thread". I may try it out when I put together my 1230 kit. I have a couple of stator cover threads that are buggered.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Have to drill a larger hole for the insert versus the heli coil. I like the two ideas of trying to do the least material removal, the loctite and the thread putty. Hopefully one of these will work.
                  Personal experience on the two "inserts": Heli coils are a very good repair and require minimal amount of material to be removed. Usually are hardened so very durable. Can come out if improperly installed or galled.
                  Key-serts are strong and should never come out with a bolt. They are also heat treated so durable. Excellent if the fastener will be removed and installed frequently. Downside they require a lot larger hole to install.
                  They both have their applications.

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
                    Have to drill a larger hole for the insert versus the heli coil.
                    Seems to me the next size up stud would need even less material removed, and the up side would be that the stud is now big enough for the job and may never need to be replaced again.

Drill the right size hole, use a bottoming tap for the threads, good to go.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Seems to me the next size up stud would need even less material removed, and the up side would be that the stud is now big enough for the job and may never need to be replaced again.

Drill the right size hole, use a bottoming tap for the threads, good to go.
                      Edit, I'm not sure if you could go with a 7mm stud, or would you need to go to 8mm to get past the old chewed up threads.
                      Want me to experiment on one of my old engines?
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There are several ways to do it as mentioned. Chase the thread and try it again.

Move up to next bolt size if you have enough material to do it. Or heli-coil.

I used something similar to heli-coil,(a British version) as it was cheaper, on a pinch bolt for the forks on my zx7r track bike. It worked like a charm and held up great. As a matter of fact, the bolt felt more secure then the other three pinch bolts.

I have since used it several times on everything from a front wheel stand to a power tool and even my compressor.

And that stuff that forms a thread is crap. I have tried and it never lasts.

Comment

Don't know about that form a thread stuff but I swear by epoxy putty. As mentioned, that is not a high stress stud so the putty will work nicely if there is some thread to grab. I've done this on a couple of studs and its always worked tickety boo.

I'd give that a try first as a simple and low cost solution.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
                          Spyug

Comment

A Time-sert is far superior to a Heli-coil.

The draw back is you can buy a 6x1 STI tap, and grind a notch in a regular bolt to do a Heli-coil, where a Time-sert needs a tap, counter sink, and a roll tap to insert it.

Heli-coils work fine and I very rarely see them pull out.

Comment

Edit, I'm not sure if you could go with a 7mm stud, or would you need to go to 8mm to get past the old chewed up threads.
                              Originally posted by ukilme View Post
                              Move up to next bolt size if you have enough material to do it. ...
                              One major problem, as I see it, with going to the next larger size is that the thread pitch does not match. As the threads go out of sync, you will end up with considerably LESS material in the thread area. Going up two sizes to a 8mm might leave you with enough material for threads, but by then, you will be almost large enough to put in the Heli-coils.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X